Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Shotgun Shock has shipped

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 01:42 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by stal94gt
i am also debating about going to an air ride system. the issue i think about is how the air ride effects the drive belt. when you lower the bike the belt gets tighter. i worry about this causing problems later on with ruining belts.
I considered the belt adjustment issue myself. Figured I will do my riding at ride height which is where the belt will be adjusted. If I slam the bike it will be parked and it won't matter.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:51 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Enjoy. Love mine.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:25 PM
Cxmoney
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 25-06
Yup, precisely right! As in Ruger M77. My favorite caliber. 100-grain Nosler Partition . . . I've knocked down everything from deer, antelope and bear to caribou and moose with it for nearly 30-years. Fast, flat and plenty of punch. A killer cartridge! But alas, I digress. ;-)

Back to your SS-ABS . . . I've been 'seriously' considering one for my new Slim too, which also has ABS, but I haven't been able to locate much specific information on the ABS-model on-line. No description about how it differs from the non-ABS version, no installation instructions for it posted anywhere (not even on the official SS website!), and no YouTube videos that I could find either. So yeah, I'll be real anxious to hear your views on it and how smooth the install goes for you.
Hello there,

I upgraded from my 2001 Heritage Softail(non abs) to a 2016 Softail slim s(with abs). I Contacted shotgun shock to see if I could trade in my old system for some credit to purchase a new system for my new bike as I didn't think they were compatible, and they said that my old system would work with my new bike. All I would need to install my system from my 2001 to my new 2016 is the ABS compatible compressor and bracket. I purchased those and have them in hand. Next week I will remove it from my 2001 and I can take comparison pictures of both compressors since I have them, if you'd like.

The following users liked this post:
FLS103 (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 07:47 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Cxmoney
Hello there,

I upgraded from my 2001 Heritage Softail(non abs) to a 2016 Softail slim s(with abs). I Contacted shotgun shock to see if I could trade in my old system for some credit to purchase a new system for my new bike as I didn't think they were compatible, and they said that my old system would work with my new bike. All I would need to install my system from my 2001 to my new 2016 is the ABS compatible compressor and bracket. I purchased those and have them in hand. Next week I will remove it from my 2001 and I can take comparison pictures of both compressors since I have them, if you'd like.
I had heard rumor that the ABS compressor was smaller, it will be cool to see the actual difference. You can also tell us if there is a difference in time to raise the bike from slammed.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:06 PM
25-06
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FLS103
I had heard rumor that the ABS compressor was smaller, it will be cool to see the actual difference. You can also tell us if there is a difference in time to raise the bike from slammed.
Yup, been hearing the very same . . . namely, that the newer (ABS) compressor is smaller, yet purportedly with higher output (?), which sounds like a bit of 'marketing' to me, so I too will look forward to seeing what CxMoney is able to share with us on this.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:12 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

The compression "head" on the piston assembly is much smaller, that is the only big difference between the old Non-ABS compressor and the new one. The Non-ABS compressor will not fit between the frame and the engine case due to the big head assembly on the compressor.

The following users liked this post:
FLS103 (03-25-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:36 PM
tripwire759
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

I just swapped my old one that was leaking out to the new system. The installation was easy. Not a fan of all the airlines running all over the place but got it done in an hour. Did some say they had to remove the rear tire?

Old 03-23-2017, 05:41 AM
FLS103
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tripwire759
I just swapped my old one that was leaking out to the new system. The installation was easy. Not a fan of all the airlines running all over the place but got it done in an hour. Did some say they had to remove the rear tire?
I did not have to remove my rear tire

Old 03-23-2017, 09:37 AM
turtle2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tripwire759
Is there a change to the air lines on the new models, not just one line to the shock?

Old 03-23-2017, 09:44 AM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by turtle2
Is there a change to the air lines on the new models, not just one line to the shock?
Correct. There is now an external diverter valve so there is one line from the compressor to the valve and then two more lines from the valve, one to each end of the shock.

Quick Reply: My Shotgun Shock has shipped