Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals for Heritage Softail

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 05:05 PM
Altmada
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals for Heritage Softail

I have a 2007 Heritage Softail that I would like to convert over to a true dual exhaust. What is the best aftermarket dual system and why? Also, I am told that I should add a tuner or fuelpak when I convert to true duals, otherwise it will run too lean. Any thoughts on which of these are best?,
Thanks for your input.
Altmada

Old 03-18-2017, 09:22 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

* Their is no BEST exhaust system.. only what you like.. I will say,, Samson's used to be the NO# 1 seller, But several yrs ago in here I've read their quality has went down.. do your own search,, Maybe they are better now than a couple yrs ago????

* No--- for pipe only mod,, a tuner is not absolutely needed. but always would be better if tuned correctly..

I'll ADD ---I thought about adding TD's several yrs back to my Heritage..--- BUT after researching them... I realized I didn't want all the HEAT on my left leg that comes off the left header pipe. Plus they will lower you TQ in the LOW to MID-LOW rpms... which is were I spend a lot of time when I ride...

Last edited by oct1949; 03-18-2017 at 09:26 AM. Reason: added
Old 03-18-2017, 06:26 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by Altmada
I have a 2007 Heritage Softail that I would like to convert over to a true dual exhaust. What is the best aftermarket dual system and why? Also, I am told that I should add a tuner or fuelpak when I convert to true duals, otherwise it will run too lean. Any thoughts on which of these are best?,
Thanks for your input.
Altmada
As oct1949 said, there is no "best", just what you like.

I have TD Samsons on my Heritage. At 5' 11" I don't have a problem with the left (rear) header.

Name:  SoftailBackRight_zpsd82975f0.jpg
Views: 6679
Size:  293.6 KB

Name:  DeluxeHeritage3_zpsd211a73c.jpg
Views: 7168
Size:  388.9 KB

I solved the problem of the low/mid torque loss by using some Thunder Torque Inserts. They brought all the low/mid torque back, plus some.

Another good option on True Duals are the V&H, you can see them HERE.

The upside of the V&H is that you don't have to use the funky shift rod that you do with the Samsons.

Regarding a tuner, your bike will run better with one, even if you don't change the exhaust. But if you already have a free flowing air cleaner, and you add some free flowing exhaust, it is highly recommended to get a tuner. You can see info on a few different tuners at this LINK, including the Fuel Pak 3 (FP3).

Have fun shopping for exhaust!

Here's a vid of what my Samsons sound like with the TTI's installed, along with a Power Vision Tuner.

First bike in the vid-

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-21-2017, 08:53 PM
Pete3323
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Love my V&H true duals. Fit, finish, and sound are perfect. I did have a bit of a heat issue in the blazing hot SoCal summer. Got a Captain Itch crotch cooler (vendor on this site) no more problems. LOVE my TD's!

The following users liked this post:
Captain Itch (03-23-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:01 PM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,463 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I have the V&H true Duals. I did wrap the baffles with fiberglass, because I wanted to remove some high pitch that bugged me. I do enjoy them and think they look great on my 06. Here are some pics to give you an idea.

The Sporty is the wife's

Old 03-21-2017, 09:23 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete3323
Love my V&H true duals. Fit, finish, and sound are perfect. I did have a bit of a heat issue in the blazing hot SoCal summer. Got a Captain Itch crotch cooler (vendor on this site) no more problems. LOVE my TD's!
I had these on my Heritage. Top quality, good performance. I would use an Fp3 tuner for this if they make one for your model year.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:24 PM
ccain529
Cruiser
Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

I just installed the Vance and Hines True Duals with the fishtail tips on my Deluxe.
Like mentioned above, the fit and finish is top notch and the sound is incredible.
I installed it along with a FuelPak3 and a hi-flow air filter. Very happy with it.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:13 AM
Iceman44
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Another option-Cobra True duals. Very high quality and deep low rumble. I run no baffles with lollipops at 45 degrees-Fishtails. Ran V&H most of my life, Cobra is top notch and a hair easier on the wallet. Fuel Moto micro tuner works great with these. You gain some upper end power, but as all have said, sacrifice a little on the low end. If you run with the baffle and tuner, you really won't notice. Lollipops work about as well as torque cones. It's all personal choice, but check out the Cobra system. I love it.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:10 AM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,463 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman44
Another option-Cobra True duals. Very high quality and deep low rumble. I run no baffles with lollipops at 45 degrees-Fishtails. Ran V&H most of my life, Cobra is top notch and a hair easier on the wallet. Fuel Moto micro tuner works great with these. You gain some upper end power, but as all have said, sacrifice a little on the low end. If you run with the baffle and tuner, you really won't notice. Lollipops work about as well as torque cones. It's all personal choice, but check out the Cobra system. I love it.
Cobra is also a good brand.

I am using a Power Commander III USB on my bike. I found it easy to program and can also make fine tune adjustments on the fly by just removing the seat and adjusting the mix.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:32 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete3323
We do make our Crotch Coolers a bit longer if you have true duals . Here is a link http://shop.captain-itch.com/Harley-...hields_c58.htm

Quick Reply: True Duals for Heritage Softail