Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Wobble at High Speed with New Tires

Old 03-17-2017, 07:18 AM
ga_dirtz
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Wobble at High Speed with New Tires

I put a set of Michelin Power Commander II's on my 08 Fatboy and now get a terrible death wobble at 70+mph. I put the tires on about a year ago, and have been dealing with the problem ever since. It's completely ruined my joy of riding. Before i put the tires on, i was running a set of factory Dunlops. I bought the bike with 4k miles on it and put 20k on in the past 2 years, so I am very familiar with how to ride and how my bike is supposed to feel. I never had a single problem with the Dunlops. The bike rode straight as an arrow. The ONLY thing that has changed is those tires. After buying them i noticed an immediate wobble, but assumed it was the tires breaking in. Not only did the wobble not get better, it got worse. I have taken it back to the mechanic who put the tires on 3 times now and another local shop once, and they assure me they can't find anything wrong. Both shops have re-aligned, taken apart and put back together, greased/replaced bearings, etc. The guy who put the tires on even did a new front tire for me for free, but it didn't fix the problem. I have now spent over $1000 on new tires, and don't feel safe at all on my ride. I just turned back from Daytona once i was halfway down because the bike felt so bad. I feel like my only option now is to trade the damn thing in, but i love the bike. My question is, does anyone think it'd be worth my time to replace the back tire? The wobble seems to only come from the front tire, which is why my mechanic replaced it for free. Could a bad back tire be making the front end wobble? Or should i just trade the bike in and get something else and let it be the dealerships problem?

Old 03-17-2017, 07:20 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts

Does the back tire look worn?

Old 03-17-2017, 08:19 AM
ga_dirtz
Novice

not at all...damn thing still looks new

Old 03-17-2017, 08:26 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,760 Likes on 21,281 Posts

Contact who you bought the tires and voice your concern.
If they offer no help yank em and replace.
You should be able to buy tires and have them put on for less than $650 through a good indy.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:43 AM
bjschubert
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2012 Lo did wobbled bad when I let off the gas over 45. Harley blamed the tires but turns out my head bearing was loose. I would start there since you have exhausted the tires.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:44 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by ga_dirtz
I put a set of Michelin Power Commander II's on my 08 Fatboy and now get a terrible death wobble at 70+mph.

I feel like my only option now is to trade the damn thing in, but i love the bike.
I'm not sure of what a "Power" Commander II is.
I'm assuming you mean "Commander II".

If you feel that the problem is the Commander IIs then why not just replace them with the Dunlops that you were happy with?
I don't understand why you would even consider trading the bike in because of a set of tires.

As for the Commander IIs, I put a rear one on last weekend and finally test road the bike yesterday and I'm impressed with the tire.
At all speeds the ride is smoother than it was with the Dunlop 401.
Note that I still have the Dunlop on the front.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:07 AM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

I would have swapped the tire for another brand. My dunlops developed a wobble as they wore down towards the end of their life. I blamed it on the ape hangers cause it was around the time I installed them. Once the front tire wore down to the point of replacement I swapped out for a Avon cobra front tire and to my surprise my bike road smooth again.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:09 PM
RAM156
Stage I

I had the same problem with my fatboy. It Had the solid rims and I was advised to change them out. I did and the problem was gone. The following year the fat boys came with solid rims with holes drilled around the outside edge and I have not experienced the same problem since

Old 03-17-2017, 07:08 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,857 Likes on 4,111 Posts

Originally Posted by ga_dirtz
I put a set of Michelin Power Commander II's on my 08 Fatboy and now get a terrible death wobble at 70+mph. I put the tires on about a year ago, and have been dealing with the problem ever since...

I never had a single problem with the Dunlops...
Originally Posted by Bluraven
... If you feel that the problem is the Commander IIs then why not just replace them with the Dunlops that you were happy with?
Way too logical

Old 03-17-2017, 07:39 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

My Dad has a 2000 Heritage and has always run Dunlops, first the stock 402's and later American Elites. He tried the Michelin Commander II's and had a bad wobble in the front after the switch. We went back to American Elites and the wobble went away. Other than that you are the only one I have heard had that issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad Wobble at High Speed with New Tires