Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Breakout, matte spots on oil tank?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 06:48 PM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

That wasn't for you matte, it was for rquest, or whatever, for trying to call you a liar because you didn't have a pic of your bike in your "virtual" garage. I don't have a pic of mine in there either. Guess I don't own one according to him. I had a cheese burger for lunch today but I didn't Instagram it to my friends. Guess I really didn't eat it.

The following users liked this post:
matte (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 07:44 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
That wasn't for you matte, it was for rquest, or whatever, for trying to call you a liar because you didn't have a pic of your bike in your "virtual" garage. I don't have a pic of mine in there either. Guess I don't own one according to him. I had a cheese burger for lunch today but I didn't Instagram it to my friends. Guess I really didn't eat it.
You may not have paid enough for that cheeseburger to justify a comment or insight either.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:06 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jenksdrummer
Yeah, PC is something I've always thought of a finish that's damn near hard as steel. Much harder than paint. Not easily abraded. Much harder than anything someone could wear, and sure as **** not something that could go from gloss to flat inside of 200 miles / 2 days of riding with nothing touching it.
The oil tank is not powder coated. Dealers are freeking clueless all too often. The tanks are painted, and yes they also have a clear coat on them too.

Not sure what happened to the OP's bike but looks like some kind of chemical harmed the paint. Surprised it was not more visible before you bought it. Maybe someone did cover it up somehow.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:18 AM
rquest
Road Master
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
Man schools your @$$ and you wind up with egg on your face and all you can do is call him a liar b/c he doesn't have a pic of his bike in his profile? Why, because he don't have three bike pics show up every time he posts? What a POS!! Do you snap pics of your food before you eat to share with your friends too? Rhetorical question.
You're missing the point, I'm disagreeing because he says he wouldn't mind if the finish got screwed up on his brand new $20k bike. But now that you mention it I still don't see his bike and he has the nerve to call me a F-ing troll? Talk is cheap...

Old 03-24-2017, 08:07 AM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by rquest
You're missing the point, I'm disagreeing because he says he wouldn't mind if the finish got screwed up on his brand new $20k bike. But now that you mention it I still don't see his bike and he has the nerve to call me a F-ing troll? Talk is cheap...
Search function is even cheaper.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:41 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Pictures of matt's bike are not the issue here

the bad paint job is the issue. And if it can be concealed by wax, then it was probably already there from the factory
The front fender came like that on my new slim

Old 03-24-2017, 04:05 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

OK kiddies. Let's end the pissing contest. If you can't help, then go somewhere else.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:49 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

My Lo has a matte finish on the oil tank. I have had oil blow all over it from over oiling the air filter. My bad.
But any fluid that would have blown back to the oil tank would leave drip streaks from the wind blowing it all over. One blotchy area is not fluid blowing back or oil level being over filled.
Your mark looks like a rub mark. The glaze should make it look nice for a while. Ride it some more, give it a good wash and if it comes back shortly, take it back to the dealer.

Congrats on the new Breakout!

Last edited by Gommee; 03-25-2017 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Getting old, can't spell
Old 03-26-2017, 10:22 PM
jenksdrummer
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys; I'm in wait & see mode for now. Both response from HD, the dealer, and, if it appears again. Weather not so supportive of getting time in the saddle short of a ride to/from work and that's not long enough, IMO, to get everything hot to see if the same results occur (ie wax melts off).

As for the finish; if it PC, it's a fail. If it's paint, it's still a fail (though likely to be easier to fix) - still, I'm where I want to see if the wax melts off and take it up with dealer/HD again when that happens assuming it's all denials again. Really, I've checked this 6-ways from Sunday to find where I would be the cause (ie rub) and it doesn't exist.

Barking harder at the dealer at this point wont get me much further until there is a response from HD.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:12 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

If H-D doesn't replace the tank and wax doesn't work, another option is gloss black vinyl wrap.

Quick Reply: New Breakout, matte spots on oil tank?