Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynojet Kit

Old 10-10-2005, 11:46 AM
HOGWYLDPR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynojet Kit

Okay guys, I know there has been alot on here about carb re-jetting and dynojet kits. I purchased one online before I did my research and from what I've read here most people don't care for them either because of the cost and poor gas mileage. After opening the kit I see there are only main jets along with the other stuff, no slow jets at all. What gives? Has anyone done one of these and am I just wasting my time? I would hate to put this thing in my Deluxe and drill the slide hole and not be happy with the results. Any opinions?

Old 10-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dynojet Kit

just an opinion.. I rode my 'dynojet' bike, then a friends 'thunderslide' bike with pretty much everything else equal, and the throttle response was superior and seemed more consistent on the thunderslide bike. Other than that observation, I don't have the expertise to really comment. But I can also say I get about 37 mpg with the dynojet kit in a stock 88B fatboy and rineharts with standard baffles. The one thing I notice is if I really get into the main jet, it will pull.. which makes highway passing pretty easy. But with no slow jets, it might explain why my bike seems to spit and sputter at very low RPM's that didn't strain the old Evo this 04 replaced.. might need some TLC by someone (besides me) that actually knows what they're doing.. thank goodness I didn't do it myself, but let the dealer do it when I bought the bike.. I'd probably go EFI now, knowing what I "don't" know.. hehe

Old 10-10-2005, 10:53 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also purchased a DynoJet kit for my bike and like yourself, I am a bit confused about what the results are going to be like. I'm looking for the bike to respond better without using a ton more of fuel. I hope that is the case. I know the kit has a few different size jets in it and when I spoke with the dealership, they said the tech that works on it will decide which one is best once they ride the bike and see how the carb responds. I plan of doing more research on this before my Oct 29 appointment. I'm also curious on the opinions of the DynoJet kit.

Old 10-10-2005, 11:06 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

My opinion is they are pricey for what you get, and the results are no better than what you can get for about 20.00.

Regards,

Bill

Old 10-10-2005, 11:54 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts

Save the dynojet kit in your tool box and buy a #46 slow jet and follow this link, you'll be very happy you did https://www.hdforums.com/m_65123/tm.htm

Old 10-11-2005, 01:54 AM
Hog_fever
Road Captain

The emulsion tube and needle are designed to work with your stock pilot jet. Do not change it. Also, with the modified needle, you will actually use a smaller main jet than stock, i.e. stock=190, dyno-jet=180. This is why you only have main jets in the kit and no pilot jets. Some people say not to drill the slide but I did. I do what the engineers who researched and developed the product tell me to do, not what some "self-proclaimed" know-it-all tells me. The throttle response is like a high strung dirt bike now, not sluggish like stock. I put my dyno-jet kit in at about 500 miles and the milage was not that good but now at 2700 miles it is getting broke in and I'm getting a solid 40 mph. Im running it slightly rich though, to be on the safe side. I would have gone with TCSTD's jetting set-up but didn't read about it till after I installed my dyno-jet kit. All in all, Im very pleased with the kit. It solved all the factory hickups, farts and burps and has some real power now. Hope this helps....

Old 10-11-2005, 10:21 AM
HOGWYLDPR
Tourer

Thanks for all the helpful info. I think I will have to give it some more thought. Maybe see if the dealer will buy the kit back from me.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hog_fever

The emulsion tube and needle are designed to work with your stock pilot jet. Do not change it. Also, with the modified needle, you will actually use a smaller main jet than stock, i.e. stock=190, dyno-jet=180. This is why you only have main jets in the kit and no pilot jets. Some people say not to drill the slide but I did. I do what the engineers who researched and developed the product tell me to do, not what some "self-proclaimed" know-it-all tells me. The throttle response is like a high strung dirt bike now, not sluggish like stock. I put my dyno-jet kit in at about 500 miles and the milage was not that good but now at 2700 miles it is getting broke in and I'm getting a solid 40 mph. Im running it slightly rich though, to be on the safe side. I would have gone with TCSTD's jetting set-up but didn't read about it till after I installed my dyno-jet kit. All in all, Im very pleased with the kit. It solved all the factory hickups, farts and burps and has some real power now. Hope this helps....
Your testimony is making me think.. You guys may laugh but I think I'm going to check the carb (with a mechanic friend that actually knows his a$% from his elbow) and verify they actually put the parts in there and did it correctly. I wouldn't be surprised if they just swapped a jet out and sent me on my way when the bike was new. I've suspected it before but not confirmed.. I'll recruit my friend at his bike shop to check it out.. plus I can learn something without sticking my ignorant nose where it doesn't belong in the carb.

Old 10-12-2005, 03:18 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was told by the dealer that it was recommended to do the DynoJet kit at 2500 miles. He said it can be done with any mileage but Harley is recommending it at 2500. Perhaps gas mileage and a full break in period is the reason why. I have just a little over 500 miles on my bike and I should have close to a 1000 by the time I bring it in. Im just really concerned that after it gets rejetted, Im going to get miserable fuel mileage. If I felt more comfortable taking the carb apart, I'd rejet it myself but I dont think that would be in my best interest so Im going to have to bite the bullet on this one and have professional help. I've been known to ruin a few carbs on my dirt bikes when I was younger....lol. I just hope they do it the best way. Im not too sure what I should be asking them or looking for.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

Save the dynojet kit in your tool box and buy a #46 slow jet and follow this link, you'll be very happy you did https://www.hdforums.com/m_65123/tm.htm

Any idea why the above link is disabled?