Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 Softail Deluxe suspension question.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:04 PM
bschott
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Softail Deluxe suspension question.

My '06 Softail Deluxe has about 3200 miles on it, and I'm starting to get annoyed with the rear suspension. The suspension is bottoming out on the highway with two of us on it. I'm wondering if anyone can provide a suggestion regarding a potential replacement shock system. I'm interested in something that I can install myself without too much fuss. I've been looking over the progressive stuff (Airtail) as well as the Legend products. However it appears that the Airtail system can be installed without a compressor (thus simplifying installation), which is appealing to me.

I don’t want to lower or raise the bike on purpose, therefore I'd prefer stock high.

I just want something that's a better ride, as my back is starting to hurt.

Thanks, Brian

Old 06-10-2007, 12:08 PM
ChopperHammer666
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: '06 Softail Deluxe suspension question.

You need to adjust the preload on the stock shocks.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:08 PM
spike95
Road Master

That's right, just adjust the preload. All it will cost you is buying the special wrench to do it.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:56 PM
bschott
Stage III

I didnt realize that these were adjustable. I guess I didnt bother to look either. I just assumed that they were not that great/adjustable because they were OEM. Either way do the aftermarket units really make that much of a difference in comparison to the OEM units? I've also been looking at the Progressive 422 series.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:50 PM
softail2005
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are loaded with bucks go for the air system. Big money but worth it.

If you ride two up the preload must be reset on the stock shocks. I made a three turn adjustment in mine and it made a world of difference. The bike does not wallow in the freeway lowspots at speed like it used to do, which gives your back a whiplash effect.

You have to buy the wrench from harley. back out the set nut with an adjustable wrench and then you turn the shocks counter clockwise, not clockwise. Follow the instructions in the manual, you turn the shocks the opposite of they way that you logically would think would tighten them.
Don't forget to retighten the lock nut.

Its a cheap fix. But a softail will never ride like a road king.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:16 AM
bschott
Stage III

Thanks for the tips.

So that was my next question. I was origionally looking at the road king classic, but in at the last minute I decided otherwise. Can really say why, but I feel that I'm not regreting it. Although I love my FLSTNI, I'm feeling that I want more.

I've never been on a road king other than just sitting so I'm unsure of their ride quality, but based on what I've seen/heard its a step up -- I'm sure.

I think you just summed up the whole experience in a small sentance "But a softail will never ride like a road king."

Now I'm torn.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:30 AM
marty44
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my new 07 Deluxe. Bike bottomed out and was too soft with my wife on the back. After I adjusted the shocks the problem was solved. You probably should check out previous posts on how to adjust the shock on a Softail. It sounds easy in the manual but you can screw it up, like everything else. Once done, it probably will never be changed again. For some reason, the stock setup is very soft and susceptible to bottoming out.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:32 PM
waynesoffroad
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The Deluxe also has the Profile low rear shocks on it from the factory. They sit about 1" lower the then standard softail shocks and will bottom out faster. I would crank the preload all the way up. If it's still uncomfortable you could pick up a used set of standard shocks cheap.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:49 AM
LIDECKGUY
Intermediate

waynesoffroad Date 6/12/2007 12:32:52 PM The Deluxe also has the Profile low rear shocks on it from the factory. They sit about 1" lower the then standard softail shocks and will bottom out faster. I would crank the preload all the way up. If it's still uncomfortable you could pick up a used set of standard shocks cheap.

Hey Wane... first of all thats a badass ride man I love the whole front end setup. I have been reading about the preload and different shocks because my 07 Deluxe also bottoms out with wife on board I am just afraid that if I crank it all the way up that when I ride alone (which is most of the time) I will sacrafice ride. Does anyone have their preload all the way up and if so how does the bike handle when your solo. Also does it affect the ride hight or just the stiffness.

Thanks in advance
Jay

Old 08-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just added two full turns to my 2006 Heritage Softail Classic. I will be pulling a trailer behind it with the little woman also on the bike. It is a pretty soft ride that has hit bottom on occasion with just her and I on the bike. Together we only weigh about 295#. I figured with the trailer I needed to add more preload. It will only have about 25# of tongue weight on the tongue, but it will be behind the rear tire which will have a greater affect.

Nobody seems to know just how much to add for this. I see where Wayne says crank them all the way up. My question is how many turns is all the way up or do you turn them till they don't turn any more?

I am going to stick with the two full turns for now. I will post how it works out at a later date.

Bill

Last edited by Watchfuliz; 08-06-2008 at 05:03 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '06 Softail Deluxe suspension question.