Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid..... DOT 5 OR DOT 4

Old 06-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Demkay
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Brake fluid..... DOT 5 OR DOT 4

ORIGINAL: zoomie67

You need to replace it with the type specified in the manual.If switching the entire sytem should be dismantled and cleaned as well as replacing all the rubber components (someone else's advice). At the very least the system should be flushed with denatured alcohol. Get some speed bleeders they'll save you a ton of time, $11.00 for a set.
hmmm, just googled "speed bleeders". That's a damn good product. Thanks.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:59 PM
jimb
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently I should have done some homework.My bike is an '02, so it's DOT 5.I did'nt even look at the year of his bike.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:35 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Demkay, atleast 06 and above are DOT 4 break fluid. You put the correct fluid in your bike. If mix DOT 4 and 5 it will solidify and gel up causing a hazardous situation. But no worries you got the right stuff.

Chris

Old 06-11-2007, 06:32 PM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Howdy,

Am putting my new accutronix forward controls on this weekend. I have an 07 fatboy so I wanna use whatever fluid is in it now. Is that dot 4 or dot 5 ? Don't wanna mix it with the wrong kind after what I read above.

Dean

Old 06-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Demkay
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dmac1968

Howdy,

Am putting my new accutronix forward controls on this weekend. I have an 07 fatboy so I wanna use whatever fluid is in it now. Is that dot 4 or dot 5 ? Don't wanna mix it with the wrong kind after what I read above.

Dean

Ok, so just read up on it in the owner's manual. ........ It's dot 4.

Thanks Chris, I was getting a little worried there. I did not have dot 5 at first, it was dot 4. In the manual it says the correct brake fluid is specified on the cover. My cover was replaced with Chrome, then I added the chrome cover from Kuryakyn. I just checked the original cover and it's dot 4.

Check the back brake cover dmac, it'll say dot 4.

Man, was gettin' worried with mixing them and having them solidified. ....OOps.

Anyhow, not that it's much use, not riding atm. [&o]

Old 06-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Sidehack
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: jimb If you get some, drop some DOT 5 in a cup with some DOT 4 and watch the reaction.
I did back in '82 and nothing happened. All DOT fluids are supposed to be able to be mixed without problems. A have shaken, heated, chilled this 50/50 mix of DOT 4 and 5 and this is what it looks like 25 years later.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:51 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my new master cylinder that's in chrome from HD says dot 4, and my front caliper has dot 4, will be flushing it all out and filling it with dot 5
(will be removing that sticker on it)

my rear was dot4, and I flushed it all out and put a new line and mc and its dot 5 now and no problems

will eventually get chrome calipers but for right now flushing it well and doing dot 5 on old calipers (relatively new anyhoo) cept it did have dot4 in it at least the calipers did..
new lines and the mcs are brand new basically

Old 06-12-2007, 01:53 AM
gambueller
5th Gear

whatever you do don't nobody mix that stuff as previously posted. I just went through a week of misery trying to figure out what was going on with my rear breaks after changing out the lower controls. The yahoo in the parts section at the stealership told me 4 after I told him to look it up for an 04 standard. Anyway (as previously posted in the chat section) I problem solved bleeders valve with teflon, put this here put that there stand on your head and do a rain dance this that and the other b/c according to others it was a bleeder issue not a seal or rubber product issue. I was even told on this forum that the dif between the two has to do with heat.. well the only thing I can think is that the new mc that I had possibly had a dry rot plunger b/c that is what I finally was able to problem solve it down to. My plunger was in three pieces when I pulled it out of the mc. I am no certified harley dude, but from now on I will do the research myself and ensure I know what the hell I am getting into before I go through that nut roll again.........

Old 06-12-2007, 02:53 AM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: vertigo14

my new master cylinder that's in chrome from HD says dot 4, and my front caliper has dot 4, will be flushing it all out and filling it with dot 5
(will be removing that sticker on it)

my rear was dot4, and I flushed it all out and put a new line and mc and its dot 5 now and no problems

will eventually get chrome calipers but for right now flushing it well and doing dot 5 on old calipers (relatively new anyhoo) cept it did have dot4 in it at least the calipers did..
new lines and the mcs are brand new basically
Why would you want to go through all the trouble of changing over to DOT 5? There is really no advantage to using DOT 5 over DOT 4 other than the fact that DOT 5 wont eat your paint if you get it on there. There is really no reason to switch. Plus it would be alot cheaper to order a tank and fender cover for when you do work, and really how often do you change out your break fluid?

Chris

Old 06-12-2007, 02:56 AM
1sssickdeuce
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

After changing my hand controls and brake line Ipumped out the dot4 out of the caliper and filled the brake masterwith new dot5 fluid. Works fine so far.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake fluid..... DOT 5 OR DOT 4