Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Softail Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 08-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Hang Around
Default RE: Primary oil capacity

Quote:
ORIGINAL: nikonf8

last time i check my manual for my deluxe which is a twin cam 88 it stated 26 or 28 ounces i am sure it was not 32. I am not sure what motor you have in the train but if you have a twin cam 88 I would not be putting in 32 ounces
Well if it's an 07, as the poster clearly indicates, it's not a TC88 but rathera TC96.Thatmodel holds exactly 32 ounces in the primary. And that's what it says in the service and owners manual. Not 26 or 28 ounces...
Old 08-17-2007, 10:01 PM

I believe that one of the reasons that the 07's and the 96 inch engines take 32 oz is because they redesigned the primary for the auto adjuster. If you look closely at thedarby cover it is actually slightly higher up on the outer case than on pre 07primary's.
Its easy to see after you open the cover up. On older ones the clutch basket aligns with the hole. Makes servicing the clutch easy. But on 07's the clutch basket is actuallybelow the hole.
On oldermodels putting too much oil in is actually kind of hard because with thehole positioned where it is it just won't hold it with the cover off, and the same is true of the newer 07's. With the hole higher it makes it easy to get the required quart of oil in without it spilling out on you.

U.S. Army Vietnam Vet
FOR THOSE WHO FOUGHT FOR IT - FREEDOM HAS A PRICE THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW.

IF IGNORANCE IS BLISS, YOU'D THINK MORE PEOPLE WOULD BE HAPPY.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:22 AM
Road Warrior

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mojojones

Quote:
ORIGINAL: nikonf8

last time i check my manual for my deluxe which is a twin cam 88 it stated 26 or 28 ounces i am sure it was not 32. I am not sure what motor you have in the train but if you have a twin cam 88 I would not be putting in 32 ounces
He has on '07 with the 96 c.i.d, themanual specs primary capacity at 32 oz
I installed the new outer primary cover. Installation was easy and I used a entire quart of oil.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:22 AM

P

Tags
88, 96, cam, cap, capacity, cid, davidson, evo, harley, oil, panhead, primary, softail, tc96, twin