Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where to install PCIII

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:28 AM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts
Default RE: where to install PCIII

I have an 06 FLSTFI and it fit (barely) under the seat but they sent me a deeper tray with the PC along with the proper instructions. Everything went pretty smooth.

ORIGINAL: jfwarren1

I bought my PC3 from Fuel Moto and had the same problem with my FLSTFI. Turns out, that for soft-tails, you need to replace the stock ECM tray where the factory ECM sits, and replace it with another one that is deeper. When I called Fuel Moto and asked about a direct replacement tray that was deeper, they sent it to me for free. Now my PCIII sits on top of the factory ECM fine.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:41 AM
crock921
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MAN! That is BRUTAL! What does the plate look like?

Old 08-21-2007, 02:08 PM
SmokinEd
Advanced

its a plastic guard that the battery sits on and runs up the back of the battery

Old 08-22-2007, 08:44 AM
bigdeek
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I hear you tuna.
So, finally got this da*)@ thing to fit under the seat. Had to snip the tie downs from the stock harnesson the frame rail on the pos battery side. Jammed down the circuit breakers (relay panel) down into the frame a couple of inches below the top of the battery. Pulled the stock harness over as far as it would go and pulled the dyno harness as far over to the other side frame rail as far as it would go. So, connectors now tuck right behind the neg side of the battery and sit right behind the battery. It's all stretched so far, I'm really expecting some of the wires on those connectors to pull out while riding one day. Dyno really needs to put wayyyyy more effort into a harness that works for these bikes. They seem to be going on the one size fits all deal.

So, i'm going to make an extension kit for this dyno harness and start selling them on ebay. I can see where things should go, just need to make the extension.

Anyway, that was a bit$)# to say the least.

Pipes going on today after slipping out of work early and I should finally be able to start riding this thing for the first time since I got it.

later.

ORIGINAL: tunaman

That would be NO FUN!!! C'Mon - get with the program!!! Life isn't worth it if you don't have to work at it!!!

Roger

Old 08-22-2007, 04:09 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought my PC3 from Fuel Moto and had the same problem with my FLSTFI. Turns out, that for soft-tails, you need to replace the stock ECM tray where the factory ECM sits, and replace it with another one that is deeper. When I called Fuel Moto and asked about a direct replacement tray that was deeper, they sent it to me for free. Now my PCIII sits on top of the factory ECM fine.
I received a call from Jamie today and he would like for everyone to know that the tray mentioned here will fit only '06 and earlier Softails. Thus, if you have an '07 you'll have to find another solution, the only apparent install location being behind the mud guard as per the instructions. I installed one on an '07 Deluxe and there was no way to mount the PCIII under the seat.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:13 PM
bigdeek
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to beat a dead horse, but, yeah, had no problem from the get go mounting the unit behind the mud guard. The problem is where to mount the large connector that you plug into the stock harness. THAT is what does not fit under the seat. Although I stretched everything to the max with about 2 tons of force on both the stock harness and the pciii harness, it fits, but I can see the wires popping out as I ride one day. I'm working on a better harness that will relocate everything somewhere else. It just needs to be redesigned more intelligently rather than just shipping out the same harness to everyone.

Then, to add insult to injury, after 2 days of battling that and finally get the seat bolted down, I went to install my samson long longtails and discovered that they sent me the wrong friggin pipes. So, now will probably have to wait another week and a half getting the correct version. Someone up there either doesn't like me or is having a hek of time messing with me.

later.

ORIGINAL: iclick

I received a call from Jamie today and he would like for everyone to know that the tray mentioned here will fit only '06 and earlier Softails. Thus, if you have an '07 you'll have to find another solution, the only apparent install location being behind the mud guard as per the instructions. I installed one on an '07 Deluxe and there was no way to mount the PCIII under the seat.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:24 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 203 Posts

Sorry to hear of your tribulations... should be worth it, though, once it all finally comes together!

I agree they should engineer a better solution for the harness coupling... it was certainly a challenge making it all fit, and I wasn't too satisfied with the way it all sits once shoved in place. I cringe every time I change my seat!

Roger

Old 08-23-2007, 11:05 AM
snowmass
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll add one thing about this installation that I learned on the "Fix My Hog" video. The PCIII instructions say to remove and discard the metal tray thatthe relays are mounted tobehind the battery. On the video, hefirst cuts the cable ties, then pulls the relay tray up and bends back the metal tabs that keep the relays from sliding down. Then he just pushes the relays and wiringdown so they are flush with the top of the battery. So the tray stays in there and doesn't hurt a thing. This worked fine on my 07 softail.

Incidentally, my PCIII fit fine behind the mud guard, per the instructions. But to get that fat connector up under the seat I had toremove the fender bolts.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Softy
Road Master

A deeper tray came with my pc111,and it fits nicely on top of the ecm.But you need to make sure cables don't get in the way of the seat,squishing them. It's close,but does fit there.

I would'nt expose it to dirt and water.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: snowmass

Incidentally, my PCIII fit fine behind the mud guard, per the instructions. But to get that fat connector up under the seat I had toremove the fender bolts.
I tried this too. It worked for about 50 miles, until my PCIII unit shifted and rested up against my spinningdrive belt!! The drive belt shredded the pi$$ out of the PCIII plastic case, and caused all kinds of engine fuel delivery problems..... stalling, engine running ok, then just dying, then start right back up, and so on. It didn't take me long to figure out what happened.
My opinion, keep the PC under the seat where it's safe from harm.... So a expensive$300 mistake, trying to think outside the bun.... This is why I ended up with TWO plastic trays.....

Quick Reply: where to install PCIII