Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros & Cons of lowering

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:02 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Pros & Cons of lowering

Pro: The ride looks awesome.

Cons: Everything else!

Do it with a pneumatic reversible system, otherwise you'll end up going back to stock height, just like I did.

Mimo.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Dad had a Fatboy that was lowered and he would scrape the floor boards all the time turning into parking lots and stuff. However, he just changed out the boards and with forward controls and never had any other problems. None of that matters, though, because the bike in question isa Nightrain. So really the responses that should be looked at should be the ones regarding the FX style frame. The FLs obviously handle differently when lowered.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:36 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I was dead set on lowering my bike for a while buthave decided against it now. It already scrapes too easily at stock height.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:48 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Couldn't help but get a giggle out of this! We went thru a lot of trouble on the old pans and knucks to get that dam primary up high enough to avoid grounding it on every left turn. Other that extending forks, 18" tires, I guy went to the extent of cutting and flipping the rear frame legs to add 2" height at the rear. Looked kind of funny but he was the only one who could actually drag his pegs.

Can see it for those with short inseams, but the modern cast aluminum primaries don't take to bashing on the concrete too well.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:01 PM
spdball
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 04 Train and had a 1.5" cheapy lowering kit on it, Not a bad ride but did sacrifice a bit when riding 2up. The nightrain never had the scraping issues because of the forward controls and when I put the 2into1 pipe on, that took away any thought of scraping on a turn.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:27 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: spdball

I have an 04 Train and had a 1.5" cheapy lowering kit on it, Not a bad ride but did sacrifice a bit when riding 2up. The nightrain never had the scraping issues because of the forward controls and when I put the 2into1 pipe on, that took away any thought of scraping on a turn.
You don't scrape the muffler bracket? Harleys are notorious as it is for having a less than optimum lean angle and I scrape the h3ll out of them on sharper corners.

If anyone doesn't experience this, I'd suggest you read this whole thread (link below)and look at the pics. Fascinating reading.

I'd never lower a Harley.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2025383/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Wanna watch someone scrape the bottom of a Goldwing in good riding technique? Here:

http://www.goldangels.com/videos/Obs...bsticalmpg.htm

Old 08-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Archer1968
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I know Kuryakyn just put out a new set of adjustables for the 89-99 & 00-07 softails, but don'tknow much about them. They are in the 07 catalog.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp...ey&ci=3530[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 08-22-2007, 03:40 PM
spdball
Novice

When I had My 2 into 2 staggered pipes on, I would occationally scrape, But since the 2into1 pipe, if I leaned over far enough to scrape I'd have bigger problems than a scratched pipe.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:11 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: spdball

When I had My 2 into 2 staggered pipes on, I would occationally scrape, But since the 2into1 pipe, if I leaned over far enough to scrape I'd have bigger problems than a scratched pipe.
I have a stock Heritage with V&H 2 into 1 Pro Pipes. I scrape the driver'sfloorboards regularly but as you know they hinge upward some. If I get over a bit farther when turning right I can easily scrape the rear exhaust bracket.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:24 PM
[Hooligan]
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Hammer02

The Pro....your bike will look really, really cool.
just look at his sig pic... that bike looks freakin mean!!

the really cool has to out way the cons by far..

Quick Reply: Pros & Cons of lowering