Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Light on and off

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 11:50 AM
scorpionuk
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Light on and off

Hi There
Was wondering if anyone else had this problem.
When I turn on my ignition etc, The engine light comes on (as it should)
I hear the fuel pump pressurize and the light goes out.
I then start my bike ( 2007 Fatboy )
But when i've been riding the light comes back on after a couple of miles and tends to stay on
til i stop the engine.
I had my bike in the dealers for a service and told them this,They said they could find nothing wrong after hooking bike up to computor.
I don't have any problems with bike,

Old 08-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Screamin00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine Light on and off

put a piece of tape over it, problem fixed.

the dealer isnt going to be able to help you unless the light is on when you take it into them, that is when the motor is throwing a code and they can plug it in and figure it out

Old 08-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search this site, there was mention once of how to extract your fault codes using the turn signal switches. If you can exteact the code while the light is on, it will give the dealer someplace to start looking.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:18 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any number of things could have set a code. A bad or faulty start is common and will set the light.

The code will expire after (i think) 50 good starts if whatever caused it doesn't happen again.

Sounds like your tech had his head in a dark place when you asked them, any HD shop can tell what the code is and reset it.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:38 PM
mark1957222
Tourer

Old 08-26-2007, 09:21 PM
safields
Novice

I am having a similar problem. The warning lights on the speedo face will come on after I have ridden for a bit, then the speedo will drop to zero and usually stay there. I have had it back to the dealer three times, first they told me the cables were loose at the battery. Second time, they replaced the ECM. Third time they replaced the TSSM (turn signal/security module). It's doing it again, so I am going to try this procedure myself and see what happens.

My bike is a 2007 FXST, no mods yet. Can't keep it out of the shop long enough to change anything!!!

Old 08-29-2007, 12:25 AM
SenseiMonkeyboy
Stage I

Have had the same problem safields. Engine light comes on and speedo drops to zero while still riding then it kicks back in in a bit. Just returned from riding and while the speedo didn't drop my engine light would come on, hold for about ten seconds then turn off only to come back on about a minute later this repeated for about6 miles and then has stayed off since. My bike is a 2004 883 Sportster. This have only happened a handful of times over the last two years but still concerns me a bit and is not mentioned in the manual.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:22 AM
SmokinEd
Advanced

My 07 has developed a similar but different wierd thing. Now when I turn the ignition on, the engine lite goes on as it should, then it goes off, then it comes on again for about 7-10 secs, whether I start it or not. No other issues like speedo going to 0. Anyone else have this happen?

Eddie

Old 08-29-2007, 05:41 AM
jhugs92
Advanced

smokinEd,
had exact problem on my 07 fxst after adding the pcIII. i found that the ecm was holding a history code of the front O2 sensor was bad. i cleared the code by doing the speedo trip reset button method and has been all good sense. therefore, i would check to see if there are any diagnostic codes being stored and if so, clear them.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:31 AM
crock921
Road Captain

i just read about a guy that had his speedo going to zero on him and the dealership was jerking him around. I do not know if he ever got it resolved. Have not read anything about it since. do a search, it should pop up

Quick Reply: Engine Light on and off