Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fatboy history

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:29 PM
mud
Default fatboy history

Does anyone know the history of the Fatboy ie where they got the name or any interesting facts. I was told an intersting story the other day would like to see if any of it was true.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:31 PM
crock921
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fatboy history

why don't you throw up the story? i would be interested in hearing what you were told

Old 09-04-2007, 12:33 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

There have been quite a few threads on this in the past. I have heard varying stories. Some say it was named after the fatboy bomb dropped on Hiroshima. I believe thqat 1990 was the first year for it. I think it was introduced through Terminator 2 but am not certain. Just remember...I'll be baaaack.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:38 PM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the early 1990's the Fat Boy design was introduced and quickly caught on. The name Fatboy was derived by combining the names of the two atomic bombs "Fat man" and "Little Boy" which were dropped on Nagasaki and Hiroshima. It was destined from the start to become a Collector's item among biking enthusiasts and definitely achieved that status throughout its existence.
That's the most common story, and the one I believe to be true. I think it was HD's semi-secretive jab at the Jap market.

Here are some pictures for you to look at..
First, the Fat Man

1990 (first year) Harley Fatboy

Same color scheme.

Coincidence? Nah, i'll never believe it.

EDIT::
Also, almost forgot..look at the logo used on the Fatboy tanks. Look at the logo the Air Force used at the time of WWII..

Old 09-04-2007, 01:28 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll keep looking for it again, but I once read an interview with Willie G. about this subject. Willie G. denounced the "bomb" association, admitting that it was a good play on words.

Aparently the name "Fatboy" stuck when the initial model was being shown around. Some local bikers checked over the new bike and said something as simple as "that sure is a fat boy"; referring to the large diameter fork tubes and beefy front tire. The year was 1989. The "Fatboy" debut was 1990.

I personally LIKE the bomb reference, but I think it is more legend than fact.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-04-2007, 01:32 PM
michaelbarry
Banned

See, PoorBoy, i'm kinda the opposite. I think that was what Willie had in mind with the whole thing. He knew it would be easy to cop out on it, and sort-of keep the 'real' meaning out of the mainstream because it would cause a lot of flack.[&:]

Old 09-04-2007, 01:35 PM
michaelbarry
Banned

and as far as the large diameter forks, etc. to 'fatten' it up..the Heritage has a fatter look, in my opinion..because of the bigger fender, light bar, windshield, etc. Also, the touring bikes...So it being 'fat' shouldn't have stood out any more to the bikers, because it is actually 'skinnier' () than a few other bikes that HD built at the time.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:53 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

fat man and little boy the bombs both had a yellow ring around them. I am sure that it was their intended meaning by it

Old 09-04-2007, 01:58 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: michaelbarry

See, PoorBoy, i'm kinda the opposite. I think that was what Willie had in mind with the whole thing. He knew it would be easy to cop out on it, and sort-of keep the 'real' meaning out of the mainstream because it would cause a lot of flack.[&:]
I like the way you think! Most of us could care less about being "politically correct" (I think), and for sure there isn't much FAT to the 1990 Fatboy. I'm sure the Motor Company was trying like crazy to re-establish market share back in the late 80s after getting past AMF.

[sm=patriot.gif]

Old 09-04-2007, 06:29 PM
mud

I have a 1990 Fatboy, a guy I met at the local Harley shop stopped me in the parking lot and asked me if I knew the history, said he worked for a dealer back east and was told that the paint scheme (silver frame, tanks and fenders, with yellow highlights) was indeed a jab at the Japanese, that the name was taken from the two bombs and that the yellow rocker box spacers were meant to symbolize the two flashes from them. I guess I'll believe that one till I hear a one I like better, but I sure do like the look, had lots of compilments

Quick Reply: fatboy history