Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy gearbox in 07s the final say

Old 09-06-2007, 04:09 AM
fatboy40ate
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy gearbox in 07s the final say

I have been reading what a lot of folk have been saying about the gearbox noises on the 07s being a fault poor manufacturing bla bla

Too many folk come to there own conclusion why its a problem....as I say their own conclusion with no tech nowhow, now that is asking for trouble.

This is an extract taken from Heavy Duty Magazine Australia under tech talk look the mag up and subscribe....

The boys here are tech gurus live and breath HDs so they should know

So for you who dont have the facts dont post what you dont know its dangerous for the unknown

it seems the internet is full of opinions on this issue with the chat rooms packed with the usual misinformation and exaggeration.
Yes, fifth does tend to be a bit noisy but if you fit an aftermarket exhaust you probably won't even notice it. The reason for the noise is simple and is not a quality issue or defect but due to the type of gears used with 2-3-4-6 being helical gears while 1-5 are spur gears. Helicals are curved and when they mesh the gear tooth rolls up each tooth like rolling up a ramp as opposed to a spur gear where each tooth slaps against its mate. Thus the noise. Now before we criticise the Motor Company and bag their decision to use two different types of gears it is important to understand that engineering is always a compromise of one sort or another. While helical gears are quieter they have the tendency to push against the end of the transmission case which loads up the trapdoor bearings. Sixth gear operates at a lower torque load than fifth and is thus less prone to side loading so it can be helical cut without a problem.

http://www.heavyduty.com.au/

Old 09-06-2007, 06:50 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
Default RE: Noisy gearbox in 07s the final say

That's been known around here for about a year.
Oh, and thanks for your opinion.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:05 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Newbies need read this stuff and realize its not a big show stopper, and should not get all freaked about purchasing a new HD scoot.

Just get on it and ride...

good job of explanation fatboy40aTE...

Old 09-06-2007, 07:27 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

This is mostly a bagger issue. Its never been a big deal with Softails. The fairing and lowers of the baggers reflect the noise back to the rider making it more noticeable.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:10 AM
norton
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What noise? I thought big loud heavy motorcycles were supposed to make noise?

Old 09-06-2007, 04:02 PM
stratplexi
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,002 Likes on 515 Posts

Pretty much common knowledge but IT STILL SUCKS. Baker 6 speeds, BMW 6 speeds, the SE 6 speed are all much quiter. Harley should have not finalized the design with 5th gear sounding so damn whiny. In my opinion, there is no excuse. Oh....and Baker has a fix out if anyone is interested. Seems as though Baker has better tranny 'engineering' than the Motor Company.

BTW, you might also read Donny Petersons article a few months ago in American Iron. The Cruuise Drive is designed to be the first throw away tranny from the Motor Company. Yeah, engineering is full of compromises and the Motor Company indeed did compromise. JMHO....YMMV...

Old 09-07-2007, 12:32 AM
third_left_eye
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's alot easier to throw all your resources into fixing a little noise issue in a tranny, when you specialize in just drivetrain systems like Baker. Where as HD has to also worry about making deadlines, and solving more important safety oriented issues. I still think HD is putting out quality machines, with just as many quirks as any piece of machinery.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:39 AM
O6FXST
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like your fatboy, fatboy!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:35 AM
stratplexi
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,002 Likes on 515 Posts

ORIGINAL: third_left_eye

It's alot easier to throw all your resources into fixing a little noise issue in a tranny, when you specialize in just drivetrain systems like Baker. Where as HD has to also worry about making deadlines, and solving more important safety oriented issues. I still think HD is putting out quality machines, with just as many quirks as any piece of machinery.
Six speed trannys ain't rocket science. I have never heard a tranny whine like these do....car or motorcycle. Harley cut corners in the design...plain and simple. The tranny is a throw away.HD has to worry about making money for shareholders and they know their consumer base accepts these kind of sh@tty designs. With the billions and billions that HD has in the money coffers, they could have easily fixed this problem. Have you ever looked at their balance sheet or income statement?

I bet they will fix it in a few years when the sales slow down.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:50 PM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an Ipod so my gearbox sounds fine... Did notice a bit of a wurring sound in 5th / 6th at low rpm when the ipod battery went flat though..

DeanO

ORIGINAL: fatboy40ate

I have been reading what a lot of folk have been saying about the gearbox noises on the 07s being a fault poor manufacturing bla bla

Too many folk come to there own conclusion why its a problem....as I say their own conclusion with no tech nowhow, now that is asking for trouble.

This is an extract taken from Heavy Duty Magazine Australia under tech talk look the mag up and subscribe....

The boys here are tech gurus live and breath HDs so they should know

So for you who dont have the facts dont post what you dont know its dangerous for the unknown

it seems the internet is full of opinions on this issue with the chat rooms packed with the usual misinformation and exaggeration.
Yes, fifth does tend to be a bit noisy but if you fit an aftermarket exhaust you probably won't even notice it. The reason for the noise is simple and is not a quality issue or defect but due to the type of gears used with 2-3-4-6 being helical gears while 1-5 are spur gears. Helicals are curved and when they mesh the gear tooth rolls up each tooth like rolling up a ramp as opposed to a spur gear where each tooth slaps against its mate. Thus the noise. Now before we criticise the Motor Company and bag their decision to use two different types of gears it is important to understand that engineering is always a compromise of one sort or another. While helical gears are quieter they have the tendency to push against the end of the transmission case which loads up the trapdoor bearings. Sixth gear operates at a lower torque load than fifth and is thus less prone to side loading so it can be helical cut without a problem.

http://www.heavyduty.com.au/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noisy gearbox in 07s the final say