Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

efi engine tuners

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 07:46 PM
chucks nightrain
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default efi engine tuners

hey I am getting ready to put on a set of V & H big shots on my nightrain (2007) and stage 1 or 2 air cleaner (Harley or K&N) . but which egine tuner is the best , ThuderMax; V&H fuelpak; Screaming Eagle race tuner or Dyno jet commander 3 or some other kind ....thanks

Old 09-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: efi engine tuners

Check with your Tuner and see which he gets the best results with and confident with .. I have had the best results with the Race Tuner.. It's hard to find a good tuner there worth there weight in Gold..

Old 09-16-2007, 08:38 PM
ICEMANNN
Cruiser

THUNDERMAX Auto Tune ... nothing compare to this EFI controller , nothing

Old 09-16-2007, 09:50 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

For the DIY'er the TMax w/Autotune is probably the top of the line with the SERT being the best option if you want to keep your stock ECM. If you don't have any plans for future engine upgrades then the PCIII is probably the best add-on fuel managment unit that hasarguably the bestaftermarket map support around for the type.
Its mypersonal opinion (and remember opinions are like a$$ holes, everyone has one and they all stink) the V&H Fuelpac runs a distant second to any of the others, but even at that its still betterthan most of the rest.
All the rest IMHO are not worth the trouble of checking out because they have even lesssupport.

BTW there is another unit similar to the Tmax in that it is a replacement ECM style setup. ButI can't remember who makes it, andfor that reason alone I would haveto question the levelofmap support that's avalable for it. Not that it has to impress me personally before I will give it any credit, but I have done a lot of research and only the ones I mentioned havedone so, so far.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:30 AM
rockerhead
Road Captain

For a stage one bike and plan yo stay that way(just air in and out ) you would be overkill with the T/Max
If you are using V&H pipes and low restriction a/c the logical and price choice is the FuelPak

Old 09-17-2007, 08:56 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the Thundermax would be overkill. It learns your bike and if you have the AutoTune, it will automatically adjust itself for whatever type of riding you're doing. If you're riding slow, it adjusts the air/fuel ratio accordingly. If you are riding fast, it will adjust itself again. It will also adjust depending on what altitude you're riding at. And also, it will adjust to accomodate the temperature and humidity in the air. If you go with one of the other setups that needs to be dyno'd, you have to keep in mind that the dyno tune is as close to perfect as they can get for the variables in the dyno room. That means the bike will be set up to run best at the same temperature, humidity, and altitude that the dyno room has. As soon as you take the bike outside and ride it, the settings will already be off a little. You must also not forget that the bike is stationary when it's on the dyno, so the air/fuel ratio will change as soon as you start riding. Also, the Thundermax doesn't need to be dyno tuned. These are the main reasons I ordered the Thundermax w/AutoTune for my bike. The bike's in the shop now having it installed along with new exhaust and a Wimmer Aircleaner. I wanted to make sure after doing quite a bit of research that I got the best product on the market and my bike would always be running its best.

I believe the other fuel management system Citoriplus was referring to is the Daytona Twin Tech (DTT). Ithink it's similar to the Thundermax.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Luxe
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have installed two Terry's Component Terminal Velocity EFI tuners. One on myDeluxe & one on a friends RKC. It too is an automatic, closed loop system that automatically adjusts the air fuel ratio for optimum performance. I can't comment on the support issue as I have never needed any assistance from the manufacturer. But they are located in the South Dakota, not off shore! It is worth looking at at the very least.

Cheers,
Luxe

Old 09-17-2007, 10:10 AM
chucks nightrain
3rd Gear

thanks for all the info

Old 09-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Mescha
Novice

Everyone has an opinion on tunners but you need to see how their set-up works, check the numbers. I run a fuel pak, cycle shack slip ons and AN big sucker. 79 hp - 88 ft/lbs engine is stock TC88b. Fuel pak was easy to install and the factory map seems to be working fine. Customer service is just a phone call away and you talk to a real person who (IMO) has the info you need. Tunner shops don't likeV&H because they can't get info on adjusting the fuel-pak so they can't play with your bike and charge you $$$$$.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:18 AM
restlesshawg
Advanced

I recommend the Dynojet Power Commander 3. I did my Street glide myself. Had her dyno tested a week ago and she cam in 1 HP and 2 ft lbs of torque short of what they said it should be. you can download the exact file needed for your bike from their website.

Quick Reply: efi engine tuners