Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage backrest questions ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 07:39 PM
waterdog
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Heritage backrest questions ??

Hey y’all,

I need some help. I recently installed a Touring Passenger Pillion (51763-07) on my 2007 FLSTC to be able to keep the lovely young wife on the back for longer rides. She really likes the new seat but now says that the backrest hits her too low and needs to be higher (she thinks about 4” higher). I did some checking in the Catalogs, the website and called the local HD parts guy today and it seems as if these are my only real choices:

1 – Get a Tall Sissy Bar Upright (52749-85A), and maybe a new backrest pad.

or

2 – Get a Heritage Softail® Classic Bucket Passenger Backrest Pad (52348-97) to install on the existing stock Low Sissy Bar Upright.

Issues / Questions:

1 – I need to know how high the Tall Sissy Bar Upright will raise the stock backrest pad. The parts guy told me I could use the stock backrest pad, if I drill a hole in the center of the medallion for mounting the pad, but he had no clue what the height difference between the two sissy bar uprights, and didn’t seem to know how (or care) to find out for me.

2 – The available selection of backrest pads for the Tall Sissy Bar Upright is very limited and I don’t really like the looks of them with the Heritage.

3 - I need to know how much higher the Heritage Softail® Classic Bucket Passenger Backrest Pad is over the stock backrest pad. The parts guy again could not tell me the height difference between the stock backrest pad and the replacement.

So, I’m sure someone out there has faced this issue before. What did you do? The replacement backrest pad certainly looks wider and more comfortable, but how much higher is it than stock? 1”? 2”? 4”?

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to help a fellow rider out and provide some experienced advice.

Thanks,

waterdog

Old 09-18-2007, 10:21 AM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Heritage backrest questions ??

I replaced teh stock pad with the classic bucket pad and my wife says the difference is night and day.
The stock pad was flat and rubbed right on her spine. the bucket pad is curved ans supports accross her back.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:29 PM
waterdog
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: HarleyWood

I replaced teh stock pad with the classic bucket pad and my wife says the difference is night and day.
The stock pad was flat and rubbed right on her spine. the bucket pad is curved ans supports accross her back.
Thanks for the response Harleywood.

But can anyone tell me how much higher the top of the Bucket Backrest is compared to the stock pad?

Any help / answers would be appreciatedfolks!

Old 09-18-2007, 06:59 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent you a PM as well, but just in case others are interested.
The bucket backrest is 2 1/2 " taller than the stock pad, meaasured from the top of the stock sissybar