Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight "Flicker"??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 08:09 PM
BillP.
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight "Flicker"??

I've not seen many bikes with this installed but I understand there is a "gizmo" (tech term) that will make the headlamp flicker at a high rate - suppose to increase driver awareness of the bike - I admit it got my attention but then I always look at bikes. Wondering if anyone has any experience with it and what the thoughts were on these.

Keep the rubber side down,

Bill

Old 09-21-2007, 08:43 PM
YTHOG
Cruiser
Default RE: Headlight "Flicker"??

Some people do use the pulsating lights. My take on them is not to use one. Too many people(especially in my area) are acustomed to drivers flashing their headlights to allowthem to pull out or turn into or go ahead of them. My personal feeling is that if a car notices your headlight pulsating, they might think you meant for them to either pull outor turn in from of you. I've discussed this with many of my friends who do not have bikes and they tell me, that's what they would think if they saw a bike headlight flashing. Just my 2 centsworth.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:47 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Now that's a scary though, get a safety device that actually will get you hurt, or worse by accident!!!
OK, well that shoots that idea all to hell.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:51 PM
BillP.
Intermediate

To clarify....maybe....the one I saw recently "flashes" at a VERY high rate, faster than a person could do - it seemed obvious to me that it was designed to catch your eye, but I suppose anything is possible. Actually, my first thought took me back to my Norton - my headlamp "flashed" but that was because the electrical system sucked!!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:59 PM
CrashX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a headlight modulator. I've heard where it creates a target fixation for some drivers, and they tend to veer to the bike.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:27 AM
Navychief
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll stay way from something like that, as mentioned above, down here in GA if you flash your lights most cagers take it to mean it's safe to pull out. Faster flashing might make them think to pull out quickley. Took a safety course 20 years ago in Washington and the instructor was all in favor of this to make others see you. I never flash hi/low beams, instead whenI come to an intersection or side road with potential idiots waiting I do a little zig-zag in my lane to help them see me.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:48 AM
silver1
Tourer

I have and use it. I would agree with everything that has been said. I was concerned that it would be taken as a signal to pull out and I am sure it would in most situations. Here is what I have observed: A single car coming out of a driveway and side street seems to think you are signaling an okay to pull out. I wouldn't use it. But last weekend was the county fair which is up the street from my house. The crossing intersection has cars entering and leaving. I hit the modulator as I approached (still thinking someone may pull out...so I was ready) to my surprise all traffic stopped and left the path open. It was almost as if a LEO had just activated his lights. It is more of a strobe than a flashing on and off.

I'm on the fence with this one though...will not use it very often.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:50 PM
chops
Tourer

I have one, but it is an 'on demand' function. It is not on all the time.

If I see a car coming in from a side street, they get auto-modulated for 4 seconds. I have seen several cars lock up their brakes when they see it, instead of pulling out in front of me. I know mine works.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:56 PM
BillP.
Intermediate

Chops, what make did you get and how was the install? I understand the downside concerns but I think the improved vis is worth it.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 09-23-2007, 05:47 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

I understand the headlight modulators are illegal in some areas? I never had one but I did have a brakelight modulator on my last bike. It was all built into the bulb and would flash the brakes very fast. I liked it and will probably buy one again. They are about $60. They get attention and I don't see a downside to them. Made by Kissan I think.

Quick Reply: Headlight "Flicker"??