Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 09:47 AM
mbjam359
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Lighting

I would like to convert myfactory blinkers,taillights and brake lights to LEDs. Does anyone have any experience adding LEDs to the factory housings? I want to do something simple.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:49 AM
mbjam359
Novice
Default RE: LED Lighting

I forgot to mention I have a 2007 FXSTC.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:55 AM
clutchglass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my 06 softail I had the following concerns with the option:
[ol][*]To convert turn signals I needed a load ballancer (an additonal...HD, or hundred bucks).[*]To convert the fender lights they make a bulb assembly with a tiny circu board on it (37 bucks per fender).[/ol]
I ended up not doing it. Let meknow how yours turns out. Maybe I'll pick the cause back up sometime after geared cams & a corbin seat.
-clutch-

Old 09-23-2007, 10:19 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Check out Biketronics, they have the controllers and use Radianze lights, a couple of guys have used their systems with good results.

http://www.biketronics.com/homepage.html

You can also check out Custom Dynamics, they sell Biketronics and Badlands controllers and equilizers as well as Radianze and other bulb replacements.

http://www.customdynamics.com/

Have fun and ride safe. [sm=biker2.gif]

Old 09-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you set on keeping the factory housing for the signals? I would think getting the LED's in the housing would be easier that trying to mount LED panels/wiring though.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:16 PM
fripple
Road Warrior

take a look at kuryukan, they have some nice led setups.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:13 AM
wamp
Intermediate

I put the Kuryakyn panecea taillight on the wifes fatboy last week, pretty much a plug and play job. Came with the load equalizer to mount under seat. Her brake light looked like a running light in the day, now it is super bright. It flashes three times and then comes on solid when brake is applied. Half of it flashes when turn signal is used. If turn signals are used with the taillight another load equalizer must be used.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Toms_softail
2nd Gear

Like Clutchglass said u have to have a load ballancer. This is what i did.
I got the load ballancer and then got some 1157 LED Cluster replacment bulbs (there are replacement for most all bulbs) I had a custom rear light already. I wanted to what the diffrence between before I shelled out the big bucks for new signalights. but i have to the load ballancer for rear anyways. I was not real impressed with the bulbs they where not as bright as the as the old 1157 but the rear was like night and day. I also found that on the signal lights with a cluster like that it more like a beam, with the old bulbs its more seen around u other then just stright behind you

Old 09-24-2007, 01:52 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: Buddha4
Are you set on keeping the factory housing for the signals? I would think getting the LED's in the housing would be easier that trying to mount LED panels/wiring though.
If you get Radianze LED's the circuit board exactly fits inside the turn signal housing (for the turn siganl version) or the tailight (for the tailight version) with a short pigtail for the plug. Its no more than atwo minute job to change the turn signals out. Takes a minute longer for the screws in the tailight and I think you need to file a small notch in something (lens or housing, I'm not sure which) to accomodate the wire for the pigtail.

Toms_softail,
You don't needa load equilizer for teh tail light. You only need one for the turn signals to work with the flasher unit, and maybe the security system. Some people have reported that they didn'tneed one. But I would still get one for the turns, just in case.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 769 Posts

I have the Kuryakyn Panacea taillight and rear turn signal inserts. I also have their front LED turn signal inserts. All of it was easy plug and play. And my rear signals now function as run/turn/auxilliary brake lights.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Quick Reply: LED Lighting