Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question

Old 09-24-2007, 10:45 PM
bruceb
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question

I have been looking atbuying a 2008 touring model and am planning on mainly weeked trips, no real long distance rides. I would like your opinion about purchasing a softail, maybe a fat boy, rather than one of the touring models. Pro and cons. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:35 PM
vabubba
Tourer
Default RE: Newbie question

I ride a Fatboy. Typically I ride to work and back during the week and then on some weekends have been known to ride 200 -300 miles on a good weekend. Now I have no complaints with the Fatboy, but it seeems the older I get, the more I'm looking at the touring bikes. I really like the look of the Street Glide. It really comes down to what you like and your comfort level. Me, if I had to do it over again, I would still get the Fatboy. No regrets at all.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:50 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 203 Posts

The Fat Boy is not the bike to rip off 300-500 miles a day, in my opinion... we did about 270 miles in one day on a trip to Bishop, and while I was fine with it the wife was not too thrilled with the excursion. I'm sure with the right setup (windshield, touring seat, bags, etc.) it would suffice, but I believe that's where the touring bikes really excel...

I love my Fat Boy and will gladly take the shorter trips (maybe trailering the bikes to the destination) rather than getting a touring model... but that's just me!

Roger

Old 09-25-2007, 12:57 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll ride my softail anywhere anytime (providing I can get off work)
Distance isn't an issue for me as a solo rider.

That said, my next will be a roadglide. Pick what you like and what feels right to you.
I've got over 20k miles in 22 months on my bike and haven't been able to ride much at all this year due to work and home obligations.
Don't let anyone tell you that you can't ride a softail in comfort and for long distances.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:10 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

For rides under a couple of hundred miles a Fatboy, or even a Custom can do the job. But if I were thinking of going a lot farther and still wanted a Softail I would look into a Heritage Classic. It already has thebags and windshield needed to make your, and more importantly your wife'sexperience a little more comfortable and gives you some storage room.
Otherwise go for one of the big baggers (touring bikes). They have all the goodies you need to make the trip a lot more pleasent. The down side is that they are more expensive, those goodies can add up.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:12 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I considered both a Road King and the Electra Glide Classic beforedeciding onthe Heritage Softail Classic. I put 5k to 10k miles a year on trips, so touring options were certainly a consideration. But those are usually done in 5 to 15 day jaunts (longest so far is 26 days) and the rest of the year is spent commuting and local cruising. That's what finally turned my decision to the Heritage ... I could get the benefit of bags/windshield when I wanted but have the size/handling of a cruiser size bike for the rest of the time. So far no real regrets ... though I do still look at both the RK and EGC with a little wonder at times.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:14 AM
ghill69
Intermediate

I love my fatboy, It's really comfortable and handles well with a real smooth ride. You won't be dissapointed

Old 09-25-2007, 06:40 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Much like you, my first 8-11 posts were me trying to figure out the next ride. Long story short, I chose the Fatboy. No wait, the Fatboy chose me.

I have almost 3,000 miles in two months; it would have been more if it hadn't rained so much this summer. I have no regrets and will ride this FB anywhere my time-off will allow. Being a young skinny guy stuck in an old fat body, I am comfortable enough on the stock seat, and can ride till my mare needs more go-juice. Nothing wrong with taking breaks here and there, enjoying the journey as they say.

I'll keep my FB forever, I've made a good choice for me.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:06 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Weekend trips? Your going to need luggage, consider the Heritage if you like the sofatails. The Heritage comes with nice bags and a quick detachable windshield. It can be stripped in about 5 minutes if you like the stripped look, its basically the same bike as the fatboy. There are differences but they are all bolt ons.Happy Hunting!

Old 09-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Ratkiller
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

250-300 mile day trips are our Sunday rides. I ride two up almost exclusively. Wife has no complaints but I did have to make some modifications to the stock set up. Change the passanger pilon first. If it's just you thenit's all about what you can handle for distance. My seat is still stock and I don't have any problem with 300 mile days. We have taken it on a few 1 week trips also with no issues.

I'll admit I'm looking into a full blown Tourer Ultra Classic but only because it offers more creature comforts for extended road trips and I like the 6 gallon tank which would have been handy on more than a few occasions.
Ratkiller

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie question