Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage - Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:00 AM
K2
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage - Deluxe

Hi guys,
I'm the newbie trying to decide betwen the Heritage, Deluxe and Fatboy. This last weekend I test drove a Victory Kingpin, Fatboy and Heritage. The Victory felt and ran really nice, I did not care for the feel of the Fatboy and the Heritage really felt the best of the group.The dealer did not have a Deluxe to test drive. So at least I have it down to the Heritage and the Deluxe. Tough decision still. I plan to ride without the windshieldabout half the time. The Deluxe has a cool look without the windshield. The Heritage I have only seen with the windshield and it looks equally nice. Does removing the windshield give the Heritagea much different look?

Should I get the Stage1 modification done prior to picking the bike up or wait until after the 1000 mile checkup? I was plannng on getting the Stage 1 done at the prior to picking up the bike so the work would be covered under the 2 yr warranty plan. So I'm trying to squeezethe dealer topick up the cost of theStage1 upgrade. I figure hey, it's almost the end of the month and they might need the sale.

Should synthetic oil be used from the beginning or wait until the 1000 mile checkup?

The current pricing from the dealers on the 2007's sounds interesting. They'reselling at$1000 off msrp (no setup, doc or freight), plus they are willing to 'work' with you on parts/labor. The dealers were quoting msrp on the 2008's.

Thanks.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:42 AM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Heritage - Deluxe

Welcome K2. Lots of questions there. Here you go. First, the Deluxe and the Heritage are pretty similar. The Deluxe sits an inch lower and has low bars vs. the mini apes on the Heritage. To me the Deluxe just felt right but much like shoes it may not feel as good to you so you have to try another and go to the Heritage. I am a fan of the old school, white wall look of the Deluxe but if you equip the Deluxe to the same level that the Heritage comes stock (windshield, bags) the Deluxe will be a few bucks more.
Regarding discount, different areas typicall sell at different price points. For example, here in Detroit we are used to seeing deeper discounting than Florida. Just go for the best deal you can get and be happy with it.
As for the stage 1. I have it but it does not makethe bike a fast bike. It does a bit but not $350 worth to the bike ($150 download, $130 for the kit and $60 for a cool cover). These bikes are not speedsters they are cruisers. I never understood the guys that spend thousands to make their 700# HD "fast". If you want speed go get a nice water cooled sportbike and be done with it. Old school choppers and cruisers used to run all over the country with no bigger than 80ci motors and they worked great. If you can get the dealer to throw the stage 1 in go for it, not for the performance really but more the look of getting rid of the football air cleaner.
Forgot about your oil question, run the mineral oil through the bike for the first 1000 miles. It will be fine. After that, my personal feeling is to use the synthetic as it will keep the engine cooler.

Mark

Old 09-25-2007, 08:49 AM
TheBreeze521
Cruiser

IMO removing the Heritage windshield does make a big difference in the look. Then again I think any motorcycle looks better without a windshield.The Heritage front end deflects a fair amount of wind without the windshield. If the winds are 20mph or less, I never bother with the windshield on my Heritage and can ride 70 mph comfortably.

As for oil, switching to synthetic at 1000 miles will reduce heat.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:01 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found the Heritage more comfortable for me than the Deluxe because of the mini apes.

Your call on the windshield. We leave ours on all the time.

I'd do the upgrade after 1,000 miles so they can dyno the bike to get it tuned properly.

Change to synthetic as soon as possible.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:12 AM
momoharley
Intermediate

I did a stage1, SERT, slip-ons and synthetic on the first scheduled maintenance on the Deluxe. The bikd rund much cooler now and is more responsive than before. It sounds and runs better now than when it was stock.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I went right for the Deluxe. I'm not a fan of Studded leather bags and such so it would have been a waste to buy the Heritage since I would have changed all that anyway. I was able to customize my Deluxe with bags I wanted and the Apes I will be installing. Not many people leave their bike stock. You will see alot of Heritage owners putting Whitewall tires on and Deluxe owners taking them off. Other than the seat height I think they are pretty much the same with cosmetic differences.

Tough choice but once your own the road I'm sure you will enjoy either one....

Mike
NY

Old 09-25-2007, 12:26 PM
marty44
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a personal thing. Which bike calls you the loudest. For me it was the Deluxe. Lower seat and bar position fit me better. Also loved the two tone blue & white along with the whitewalls. True, I had to add a new seat, windshield, sissy bar, etc. But the extra $$ over the Heritage was worth it. I take the windshield off on short trips and really like the old school look of the Deluxe when it's stripped down. Re the Stage 1, it may not make a big diff in HP, but it made a huge diff in low end torque and throttle responsiveness. I went with synthetics after 1K service and it seems to run a little cooler.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:51 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior

The Heritage and Delux are 2 respectful choices. I went with the Heritage because it already had bags and a windshield as standard equipment.

Stage 1 kit does make a difference but you should wait until after the break in period. If you do this go ahead and get a SERT for it because mods become an addiction.

Change to synthetic after break in.

I ride with the windshield about 50% of the time. Bike does look better without it. But sometimes comfort is priority. If I take long Freeway rides or the temps are cool the windshield goes on.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:27 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ditto on Deluxe. I traded up from my 04'Deuce to an 07' Deluxe. Great comfort and rides really nice. Also got about $1000 discount. Basically got two-tone and laced wheel option thrown in.

Switched to synthetic on 1000 mile checkup. If you don;t want HD Syn 3, ask if you can provide them withAMSOiil or Mobil VTwin....

You probably get more for your money with a Heritage because of the windshield and saddlebags. Priced separately, you would pay more. but, if your no into windshields and/or HD saddlebags, go with Deluxe. Do what marty44 and MikeNY did, and what I'm going to do and pick what options you want when you want...

good luck with decision and welcome!!

Old 09-25-2007, 03:21 PM
volkdeluxe
Road Captain

Heritage/Deluxe pretty much the same bike, just depends on what you want in the end.

Quick Reply: Heritage - Deluxe