Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobra vs V&H

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 12:46 AM
FBOY
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobra vs V&H

I've got an 08 Fatboy on order and should be getting it by Xmas. I'll be doing the Stage 1 but am still undecided about what kind of pipes to put on instead of keeping stock. I've heard V&H's BSS and they are loud but I was going to put on the quiet baffles to reduce the crackle. Does anyone have V&H's BSS with the quiet baffles, and hows the sound? Does anyone have the Cobra Speedster Slashdowns? Anyinfo to help me decide would be appreciated

Old 09-30-2007, 08:06 AM
AF07
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cobra vs V&H

I have V&H BSS with Quiet Baffles on an 07 FLSTF. Great sound with deep rumble...but it is not "quiet". This is the second bike I've had with BSS and Quiet Baffles and I can recomend it...V&H makes a quality product. The fit andfinish on the dozen or so sets of V&H pipes I've had over the years have all been great.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:24 AM
dl03
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

i also have the v&h bss with power chamber. no baffles at all. but i like it loud. but they are a great product. the baffles will quiet them down compared to mine,but AF07 is right they will still be loud. if u want quiet stay stock.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:25 PM
glady
Novice

Another option is the Vance and Hines Q series (double barrel, with power chamber). Looks very similar to the BSS, great rumble, but lower db.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:48 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel for you having to3 months for your bike. why so long?

Old 09-30-2007, 08:11 PM
FBOY
Advanced

A507, gladyand dlo3...I was talking to a guy that hada screaming eagle dyna and when he started it up it WAS loud...I'mcertainly not afterquiet but something with a little less edge (crackle?) than he had...a loud rumble would be fine. I've onlyheard the Cobra pipes on their site and although it sounds OK, I want to hear in person. Certainly the HD dealer is pushing V&H and I've heard nothing but good things about them. I also looked at the Q series, but like the looks of the standard BSS

Aviator, I kind of decided to get back into riding in mid summer but really couldn't make up my mind on which HD to get...this forum (web site) was helpfuland sowas dropping into my HD dealer every other day while I was on vacation in August...and finally I made up my mind...I could have got one in November but in Alberta, that would be just mean having it sit in my garage and not being able to ride it...so it gets built in December, and I'll probably get it sometime in January after the mods, and thenonly a few short months until the snow's gone in late April

Old 10-01-2007, 08:55 PM
dl03
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

the the Q series should be perfect for u. i just wasn't sure how quiet u wanted to stay.
good luck.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:08 PM
FBOY
Advanced

thanks for the information dlo3...by the way, nice bike, and do you mind my asking what kind of seat you've put on? I'm also wanting to take the stock seat off mine and find something a little less wide, maybe about an inch lower, but still comfortable for the long rides

Old 10-01-2007, 09:22 PM
gunner065
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome FBOY from a fellow Canadian living in British Columbia. I picked up an '08 Fatboyat the end ofSept. You won't be disapointed. I have the V&H BSS on mine but I don't have the quiet baffles but love the sound. I don't know if it's me, but after a month, they don't seem so loud. Out here, you can preety much ride all year round (if you don't mind the rain). Any way, enjoy your ride when you get it and hope for shinnook winds during the winter.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:54 PM
FBOY
Advanced

...thanks Gunner065...its going to be a long winter waiting for the first ride, but it will be worth it when it happens...and I'm certainly planning to head to BC in the summer to see family. Did you keep your stock seat on yours? I was planning on going with the HD lowering kit, which will put it down about 1" and then finding a lower profile solo seat to get another 1". I like the solo from Mammoth Choppers, but its hard to tell from pictures. The stock is comfortable but I want something a little narrower, lower and still real comfortable for the longs runs...tall order?

Quick Reply: Cobra vs V&H