Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fine Tuning Seat - Reach

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:07 AM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fine Tuning Seat - Reach

Thanks again for the help. Since buying the Deluxe less than three weeks ago, I've travelled just under 1,500 miles on it, and have learned a lot. But I have some "issues":

1) I'm 5'7", about 165 pounds, and even though I have a windshield, I like riding without it. I find the reach to the bars tiring after a while, and feel that I'm "hanging onto" the bars instead of letting my arms fall on them without strain. I bought the Deluxe specifically because of my height and the desire to get a firm foothold and easy reach. What bars/changes may be helpful to get the bars a bit closer to me?

2) The stock Harley seat looks great, but after an hour or so I get butt burn on my lower back, just about where my back rubs against the back of the seat. Lots of people have commented on this, but to me I'm not sure if I'm too close to the tank, or by moving back I've creating more of a problem with reaching the bars. Any comments are welcome.

3) I don't have any bags on the bike, and like the "clean look" of the Deluxe. When I do need some storage, is there a "roll bag" or something similar that I can use that works well with the Deluxe? I've seen a lot of the HD bags, but I prefer a leather solution and most of their bags are fabric, or require a backrest and are then too large.

4) I'll probably add the detachable Deluxe backrest and pad for my wife, but I'm not sure about the seats for her. Thoughts?

Another issue is clothing. I'm approaching 60, and after 400 mile days I feel like I'm approaching 80. I have a full suit Aerostich - Hi-Viz color - not the typical HD gear, but allows me to wear only one piece of gear for rain, sun and accident protection. This weekend I drove to Fox Creek leathers and bought a Classic I jacket and chaps. I rode home in them, and it was an interesting contrast to the textile clothes. Not being familiar with chaps and high quality leather, how do you use leather gear? Wear it all the time, only in certain temperatures, what about rain (again I have no bags to carry rain gear), and cold?

Thanks again for the help.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:11 AM
dl03
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Fine Tuning Seat - Reach

wow. thats alot of issues.lol.
1. buy apes hangersand angle them back.

2.get a mustang or simmilar cusshy seat.

3. buy some h/d or aftermarket bags with detachable hardware. i left mine on b/c i think it looks way cool with them or w/o them. the plus is when ever i need to throw something in there,i'm set. u could always get a haddle bar bag or a bag that goes on the down tube. i'm not sure how much u want to carry. if its smokes and a lighter just buy the pouch that goes on ur console.

4. pillion seat for the wife,hmmm. i would buy the widest pillion i could find. i have the h/d 14" wide pillion. she loves it.

these are things that u over all will have to decide on. it will not be cheap,depending on which way u go.
good luck.and congrats..
jay.