Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downshift Backfire??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 06:37 AM
Bandit558
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downshift Backfire??

Here's the setup, 2006 Nightrain (fuel injected) with a stage one upgrade, python true duals, screamin' eagle intake, and the standard HD stage 1 computer dowload. Almost everytime I downshift I get a nasty backfire after the engine has slowed down a bit. I understand how a backfire happens but I don't know if there is anything I can do to fix it... any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:46 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Downshift Backfire??

If you do a topic search on "decel popping" you will have enough reading for a month. Plenty of references to backfire get included in these discussions.

Basically, I have come to understand that the HD stage 1 download to your ECM isn't aggressive enough. A lot of folks keep (or go back to) stock ECM settings and then add a fuel manager.

SERT, PCIII, FuelPak, and ThunderMax are the popular choices after changing pipes and a/c. I'm sure you already know all this and are simply trying to find alternatives or additional changes to your ECM without adding a fuel computer.

I have V&H BSS & FuelPak (and AN BS a/c) with only occasional decel popping, and an embarassing backfire once in a while. There are lots of variables in combination(air temp, humidity, altitude, engine temp, and o2 sensor inputs, etc.) that makes it challenging for a better breathing engine to run flawless.

All of my poking around on the forum, I have come to worship some of these guys who DO HAVE flawless running motors. This is usually after big bucks are spent on multiple dyno runs.

Good luck!

Old 10-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Peg_legs
Advanced

All good information. I can add that an exhaust leak can make this occur too. I had the problem until I reinstalled my pipes andreplaced the gaskets. The sound completely changed, the backfires were gone and all is well now.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:00 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 159 Likes on 98 Posts

mine is pretty much perfect. Mine popped a little before, but that stopped completelywhen I had the injectors changed.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:55 AM
Bandit558
Advanced

Thanks for all of the ideas guys... now I can start researching what to do... sounds like I'll be dropping some cash either way...
Ride Safe!