Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Fuelpak wipes out factory ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:30 AM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts
Default V&H Fuelpak wipes out factory ECM?

05 Fatboy injected
Just got off the phone with the dealer, pricing a V&HFuelpak. The guy says they sell them but dont recommend it because it wipes out the factory ECM. Anyone have anything like this happen?
Of course, they want to sell a SERT with dyno time. I just want to get the bike running correctly.I have SE slip ons and am contemplating the AC. Shes poppin now, but not terribly. Thoughts, experiece?
MikeM

Old 10-05-2007, 12:32 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: V&H Fuelpak wipes out factory ECM?

Horse poo.

The V&H FuelPak is downstream of the ECM and doesn't talk back to ECM at all. All fuel managers simply "listen" to the ECM data bus. All sorts of sensor data (speed, RPM, o2 sensors, engine temp, air temp,etc.), ignition data,and "fuel" commands are routed on this data bus. The ECM is basically one big look-up table based on this sensor data (received/input) and resolves this info down to a fuel delivery command (sent/output)to the injectors. The ECM controls when the injectors fire and for how long.

Quite simply, a fuel manager adds to (or takes away from) the "when" and "how long" fuel injectors operate.

There is ONLY a slight risk of shorting out those large ECM cable connectors during initial install if you haven't followed directions by disconnecting the positive battery cable first. Once things are installed and buttoned-up you're one step closer to wonderful.

Your dealer simply wants to sell SERTs.

Get what you want, just find some place else to install it for you. I'm sure there are some custom motorcycle shops around you that will help you out if you don't want to do the install yourself.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:35 PM
rockerhead
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FRIGGIN STEALERS

Old 10-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Rotag
Advanced

If you do the install wrong it will throw the check engine light.
I have not installled one but thats what the V&H instructions say.
Steve

Old 10-05-2007, 07:11 PM
BkrDude001
Cruiser

The dealer recommended and installed my fuelpak.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:47 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,798 Likes on 1,675 Posts

ORIGINAL: PoorBoy

Horse poo.

The V&H FuelPak is downstream of the ECM and doesn't talk back to ECM at all. All fuel managers simply "listen" to the ECM data bus. All sorts of sensor data (speed, RPM, o2 sensors, engine temp, air temp,etc.), ignition data,and "fuel" commands are routed on this data bus. The ECM is basically one big look-up table based on this sensor data (received/input) and resolves this info down to a fuel delivery command (sent/output)to the injectors. The ECM controls when the injectors fire and for how long.

Quite simply, a fuel manager adds to (or takes away from) the "when" and "how long" fuel injectors operate.

There is ONLY a slight risk of shorting out those large ECM cable connectors during initial install if you haven't followed directions by disconnecting the positive battery cable first. Once things are installed and buttoned-up you're one step closer to wonderful.

Your dealer simply wants to sell SERTs.

Get what you want, just find some place else to install it for you. I'm sure there are some custom motorcycle shops around you that will help you out if you don't want to do the install yourself.
[sm=exactly.gif]

That is a crock of bull ....they want your money for the Sert and a couple of hours of dyno time. I ran a Fuelpack for a few months with absolutelyzero problem. I wasn't impressed with it and is why I went to the PCIII. Install the thing yourself. It takes less than 15 minutes to do.