Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front end changes for '08?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 05:31 PM
closetredneck
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end changes for '08?

Ever since I bought my 07 night train, I've thought my front suspension has been soft. Now, after about 2500 miles and talking to a few other guys, I think it's downright mushy. I think there is something wrong.

I have at least 6 inches of travel in the fork. (just rolling forward a foot or so and grabbing the brake, it really sinks - about 3 inches from the bottom of the tree). At rest, there is about 3 inches in the tube (holding brake and pulling back, I get about three inches before the wheel drags).

I've taken it to two dealers. At one, a sales guy said he thinks it's soft and should have it checked. The service guy said it's fine - use the SE fork oil. The other dealer said it's fine, use the SE fork oil.

So I walk over to the 08 night train and do the same tests. Much firmer, and when pulling back, the forks do not slide out at all. When I ask the service guy, he says there's been changes made in the front end for 08? He let's me out back to try an 07 demo NT, and its forks are similar to mine.

So, is there something wrong with mine or is it normal? And if there were changes for 08, anyone know what they are?

Thanks!

Jeff

Old 10-05-2007, 06:27 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: front end changes for '08?

That's odd, my 07 custom rides like a buckboard on the front. Sure you have enough fluid in yours?
Ron

Old 10-05-2007, 07:50 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,785 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Try changing to SE Performance fork oil...If it still feels mushy, take it to the dealer and make them check it out....It's still under warranty

Old 10-05-2007, 09:31 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Funny, im ditching my 08 Night Train front end for an inverted setup as it is too mushy and flimsy

Old 10-06-2007, 10:10 AM
rockerhead
Road Captain

Get Progressive fork springs SE oil and you 'll have a Cadilac

Old 10-06-2007, 06:34 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

While the springs and oil are an upgrade somewhat, you should put in valving while you are at it (Think Race-Tec gold emulators). This is the best bang for your buck, cheap but not the best. To say that to just go with springs and oil when donk_316 is going with an inverted front end, I have an opinion that is my own on the subject. I am in the business of manufacturing top of the line performance suspension.
*It is all in what exact brand of inverted front forks you are going to run. If you buy a Utima 58mm inverted front fork, well, they are nothing but up side down (Same technology as the forks as you already have, but bigger and much heavier) Harley D forks. Pass here.
*If you go with a quality type front end such as Öhlins, than you are doing something. The price for just the forks is $2.600. All the other stuff is extra. Those are worth it and the performance is far better.
*Much of the inverted stuff out there is nothing but a way to get you to spend your money and have marginally better performance, if at all.
*Confederate uses Marzocchi 50mm forks which are also good and they work.
*Marzocchi was contracted to sell Regal 58 mm forks, they looked great but in the end, the components were junk and no spare parts are available or made, to rebuild them. Everything is not equal these days, even with Öhlins. Sometimes apples are not compaired to apples even when made within the same company.
*Just stuffing a set of forks under your bike is not the answer. The forks have to be tuned to the rider’s weight, weight of the bike, riding style and percentage of time you spend riding 1 or 2 up. Forks should be adjustable for the riding conditions you are facing at that moment. I mean if you are going to canyon carve, than you want firm suspension. If you are riding long distance, than you want a softer ride (simplified answer). Both can be had and anywhere in between with simple adjustments on the fly.
*Is inverted forks built by the right manufacturer better than stock HD Wideglide? Yes, 1943 technology VS today’s technology.
*Is the ride smoother, safer, more secure, and stable with inverted forks (good quality)? Yes, way, way better.
*Ask questions and look at the drawings. [ol][*]Has the company won any races by sponsoring a race bike (sport bike not drag) with the companies equipment on the race bike? The track is where you learn and develop.[*]If the answer is no than; Is some chromed up junk that resembles a inverted front fork better than HD? Do not waste your money (In my opinion only).[/ol]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/40D81E2ABB2049F39194ABF2085713F5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-07-2007, 07:44 PM
closetredneck
Banned

So what are you saying, FastHarley? The marzocchi made HD brand inverted forks are junk?

Your post is a little confusing to me. Are you recommending to go with a good quality inverted fork, a better quality standard fork, or just add better parts to the existing suspension?

Also, I still haven't got an answer to my original question? What's different in the '08 softail front suspension from the '07? Well, the models with the wide glide front end anyway.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:40 PM
donk_316
Road Master

err... i dunno if i should be offended or gloating!

My forks are the marzocchi / HD brand inverted forks

Old 10-07-2007, 09:52 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

Closetredneck, what I said was with my experiences, and spending time writing this post of give my opinion to you giving a side to consider is this:
[ul][*]While the springs and oil are an upgrade somewhat, you should put in valving while you are at it (Think Race-Tec gold emulators). This is the best bang for your buck, cheap but not the best.[*]To say that to just go with springs and oil when donk_316 is going with an inverted front end, I have an opinion that is my own on the subject. I am in the business of manufacturing top of the line performance suspension.[*]It is all in what exact brand of inverted front forks you are going to run (if in-fact you would be considering the suggestion donk_316 made).[*]Forks that are not good quality: Pass here.[*]If you go with a quality type front end such as Öhlins, than you are doing something. Those are worth it and the performance is far better.
[*]Example: Confederate uses Marzocchi 50mm forks which are also good and they work.[ul][*]Marzocchi was contracted to sell Regal 58 mm forks, the components in them were junk and no spare parts are available or made, to rebuild them.[*]Everything is not equal these days, even with Öhlins. Some times apples are not compared to apples even when made within the same company.[*]*Ask questions and look at the drawings. [/ul][*]Closetredneck: “Your post is a little confusing to me. Are you recommending to go with a good quality inverted fork, a better quality standard fork, or just add better parts to the existing suspension?” [ul][*]Q “to go with a good quality inverted fork?”[ul][*]*Is inverted forks built by the right manufacturer better than stock HD Wideglide? Yes, 1943 technology VS today’s technology. Is the ride smoother, safer, more secure, and stable with inverted forks (good quality)? Yes, way, way better. [/ul][*]Q “better quality standard fork?”[ul][*]No, unless you are going with a Marzocchi or something as good quality and adjustability. Regular type forks have been around a long time, again, boiles down to quality. [/ul][*]Q “or just add better parts to the existing suspension?”[ul][*]If you wish to upgrade your suspension as rockerhead had suggested, I added: While the springs and oil are an upgrade somewhat, you should put in valving while you are at it (Think Race-Tec gold emulators). This is the best bang for your buck, cheap but not the best. [/ul][/ul][/ul][ul][*]So, is there something wrong with mine or is it normal? And if there were changes for 08, anyone know what they are? [*]Q; “So, is there something wrong with mine or is it normal?” [ul][*]Without having them off the bike and on my bench I do not believe there is anyone on earth that can tell you if something is wrong. [/ul][*]Q; “And if there were changes for 08, anyone know what they are?” [ul][*]I do not know what the latest changes are but I did tell you in detail how to fix the ones you have other than putting cartages in them. [/ul][/ul]Here are your options from least to best performing: [ol][*]Sure you have enough fluid in yours[*]Try changing to SE Performance fork oil...If it still feels mushy, take it to the dealer and make them check it out....It's still under warranty[*]Get Progressive fork springs SE oil and you 'll have a Cadilac[*]While the springs and oil are an upgrade somewhat, y

Old 10-07-2007, 10:40 PM
donk_316
Road Master

Thanks for the clarification! I feel better now too as mine arent the cruddy "Regal"... mine are 52mm

Quick Reply: front end changes for '08?