Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak on heritage softail, HELP!! **photo added**

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:17 PM
scrawfordFLSTC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak on heritage softail, HELP!! **photo added**

I have recently noticed oil leak from what appears to be the grommet in the engine case for the wiring from the voltage regulator. What's up with that?? What can be done to fix this. I assume this could cause the regulator to fail? I have had no electrical problems yet. Thanks for your help!!

Scott

Old 10-09-2007, 04:48 AM
Grey Biker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oil leak on heritage softail, HELP!!

Trying to figure out what gromet from the voltage regulator your talking about. The regulator is only a single wire terminated in front of the rear tire under the plastic cover plus the ground wire.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:47 AM
scrawfordFLSTC
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Oil leak on heritage softail, HELP!! **photo added**

I added a photo to help me explain better, thanks!!

Old 10-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Grey Biker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, That is not a regulator gromet, that wire goes to a connector behind the regulator mounting plate, and just what it is, I don't know. There are pictures of it in service manual but there is no reference as to what it is. I would suggest carefully removeing the rubber boot seeing if you can tell where the oil is comming from.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:16 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

What you have there is the alternator wires that come from the alternator on the crankshaft end, through the crankcase wall, and to the regulator. There is oil on the inside of that case wall but its not under pressure so my best guess is that the gromet isn't seated properly or has a little dirt betweenthe wires or under the gromet making a small gap that the oil is leaking out of.
If my manuals pic is right, and I have no reason to doubt it, it would appear that you can pull the gromet out clen it off and reinsert it. Maybe wipe it lightly with some grease to make it slip in and seal better.
If the bike is less than a couple of years old, take it back to the dealer and let them fool with it under the warranty.Its also possible that its leaking because there is pressure building up inside and if your not really good with a wrench and its still under the warrenty, let them handle it, its not supposed to be leaking like that.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:25 AM
scrawfordFLSTC
Outstanding HDF Member

The bike is a 2000, so I'll more than likely be doing the work myself. It just started recently, and I've never even fussed with the grommet. Iwill try cleaning behind and around it and see what happens. It's just a slow "weep", because it doesn't even leave a spot on the garage floor. I've read somewhere that you can put a light film of silicone around the grommet and this will stop the leak. Is this possible/a good idea?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:38 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The silicone seems like a patch rather than a fix. I think I'd try to replace the grommet.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:41 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

You can, but I would use something like Vasoline instead. It will help slip it back in and its a petrolium based product so it will not affect the oil if any get loose in there. Silicone will seal it, but some kind is like glue and will stick things together making it hard to get out if needed later.

With the bike as old as it is its possible that the gromet has cracked or split from age and heat. In which case you really shouldreplace it with a new one. They are not expensive, but it does require you to dismantle the plug (pull the wires/pins out) that goes to the regulator to get the new one on. You can get theold one off byjustcutting it off, but the new one is another story.