Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft tail custom on long trips

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:40 AM
jglasgow110
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soft tail custom on long trips

I just got back from the fall Octoberfest bike weekend at Myrtle Beach and I rode my 1200 Sportster for the 300 miles it took to get there[:@]. I'm now looking for another bike, not because the Sportster won't keep up, but because, after the 300 miles, I was ready to take a looong break. Sportsters are great bikes, just not for the long trips. I'm looking at either a low rider or a soft tail custom (love the look)and am wondering if anybody here has experiances with 300-500 mile rides on either of these 2 bikes. I really don't want to go to a touring bike because of weight and I frankly don't like all the saddle bags and ferrings that go with the bikes, although I will probably add a detachable windshield to whatever I end up with. Which of the twois going to be the better for both around town (mostly) and on long trips (occaisionally).

Old 10-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts
Default RE: Soft tail custom on long trips

I ride my Evo Softail Custom 400-500 a day for several days straight. Comfy as can be. The stock Custom seat is one of the best.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:51 AM
JRM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use to have a Wide Glide. Very similar to a Softail custom. It was peppy as all get out but after a day of riding I was wore out. Not a good hiway bike. I now have what you don't want. A Heritage Softail and it is better but lacks power. Hope this helps.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:03 PM
jglasgow110
Tourer

Love the look of the soft tail custom. The dealer is trying to move me toward to low rider because he says it will handle better in turns and be more comfortable on longer trips. Really hard to decide, coming off the sportster I'd say either one would be better. Thanks for the help. It's great to hear from someone that is putting those kinds of miles on their bike and still says it's comfortable.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Can't talk about the Soft tails because I only rode one oncefor a test drive.

My wife and I do take long trips on our '06 Low Rider and find the ride very acceptable. We have a Sundowner Deep Bucket seat.

Two weekends ago we went on a trip to the White Mountains in New Hampshsire. Left at 4:00pm on Friday and got home 8:00pm on Sunday. Rode pretty much all weekend.

Travelled with 3 other couples (2 Road Kings and 1 Ultra Classic). When my wife and I were ready to stop for a break, so were the other couples.

I'm sure a touring bike would have been more comfortable, but we're happy with our Dyna for now.

Sammi

Old 10-10-2007, 12:08 PM
duane.harvey
Novice

I ride a Fatboy, and have gone on several trips over 300 miles. My seat is the stock wide seat, and though a little hard, seems okay. I think I'd like something a little softer and more contoured for a saddle-like feel, but it's do-able. I wouldn't want to push my setup past 400 miles much as my butt starts to get numb without breaks at about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:10 PM
jglasgow110
Tourer

I now the wide glide and custom are similar in looks but I'm wondering how much difference the suspension is going to make. I really like the looks of the wide glide also but I think the forward controls are just a little bit to "forward" for me. I really like having the pegs mid mount, in fact that's one of the problems I'm having with the custom...no mid mount pegs. I really like to be able to move my feet around on those longer rides. I have highway pegs on the sportster and I movemy feet from the highway pegs to the mid mounts to the passenger pegs...it keeps me from getting cramps.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 PM
jglasgow110
Tourer

thats great to hear about the low rider...that seems to be the way the dealer is pushing. I like the mid mount controls and the way it "sits".

Old 10-10-2007, 12:18 PM
jglasgow110
Tourer

I looked at the fatboy and I'm sure it's a great bike, I'm just looking for something a little on the "leaner" side.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Helix
Tourer

Only you can decide whats best for you. Ive ridden my Bike on several 260+ miles trips solo and 2 up and I can tell you the stock seat on a custom is like sitting in a comfy recliner. At no time was it ever uncomfortable. If you prefer one over the other you better get it becuase your always going to wonder why you never got the bike you wanted. Do yourself a favor and search the forum for WG and custom. The subject has been discussed a ton and theres plenty of info on it.You cant go wrong on any of the Bikes you mentioned thats for sure!

Quick Reply: Soft tail custom on long trips