Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for you Springer Folks

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for you Springer Folks

I don't know if any of you have been sticking your heads into the Dyna room lately, but quite a few of us have or are planning on putting a springer front-end on our Dynas. There have been a few suggestions that there might be a performance loss from the Springer front end, others have said it is very stiff compared to forks...

What do you all say? How does it perform compared to typical forks? Pros? Cons?

I am looking more at FXSTS style than FLSTS...

Thanks

Old 11-01-2007, 04:26 PM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts
Default RE: Question for you Springer Folks

The old style springers ride really stiff, the new ones lots better, but still stiffer that normal forks

Old 11-01-2007, 04:48 PM
uriel
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an 05 dyna superglide and an 06 softail springer. I dont think todays springer front ends would fit well with a dyna due to the added weight . As far as stiffness is concerned, springer vs standard narrow glide forks is a world of difference. Night and day. All in all I think springer front end might overpower smaller dyna frames ability to be as quick and as nibble as I personally like. But I think your idea is interesting. Its one of those give and take things. Better looks (maybe) or better ride. My springer is all looks but tough to ride. 18 inch apes, front and rear lowering kits, solo barebones seat.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Deus Ex Machina
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my Springer! I was skeptical about the ride before getting it cause of all the things I had heard. After a day of good riding you won't know the difference so much. A little harsher maybe, depends on the road surface. I don't think it dives as much though either when your hard on the brakes. As far as flickability, it's right on par with almost any fork laden machine I have ever driven.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:59 PM
ChopperHammer666
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think I'll ever own another bike without a springer front end. FXSTS is awsome. I can definitley tell the difference when I ride my sporty. The hydraulic is way too soft. I would love to get a springer front end and put on on my sporty. I don't think it stops as well but I just leave a little more room in front of me.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8380/15D873A1CFC94D1EB86676071D6D4982.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8380/F4ED9B5B2D6748D4BCD6BEEBD6F96E31.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Hamilton
Tourer

I like the stiff springerfront end for hard cornering, unlike the flexing chopstick front endthat was onmy FXST, or the mushy front end that is on my FLHT. But I do miss thenon-maintenancerequirementswithtelescopic forks.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:29 AM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts

I love the feel of my Springer. Wouldn't have any other.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:39 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

I'll admit I only have about 2000 miles in 3 months experience with my Springer Classic, but I just went on a road trip to Arkansas with mine and hit a few of the mountain roads with some sharp turns. I was pretty happy with the handling in the turns and I really didn't notice any problems with stiff suspension on some of the bumpier roads.

It's a keeper for me.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:17 AM
Candy Azz
Banned

Herr Monk, what Springer are you guys thinking of running, the stock type? Where are you gonna get one from? The market for these is outrageous right now. Some guys are getting over $1k for a stock frontend.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:28 PM
springerscott
Cruiser

The springer definitely adds character to the bike, and some noise. I get chatter from the springs at certain engine RPM. But everybody asks about the springer and admires it. I haven't got any real seat time with standard forks but other than very bad roads, I like the springer. Oh yeah, it is harder to get parts for the springer, like rotors, all of the rotors I like are not for the springer.

Quick Reply: Question for you Springer Folks