Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07; Deluxe, aftermarket hand levers...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:41 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 07; Deluxe, aftermarket hand levers...

This is just an informational SO YOU KNOW issue.

For all thinking about replacing hand control levers with aftermarket, but careful!! Especially if your purchasing on-line without making any calls first.

HD levers are the only "fully capable" replacement option you have currently. There's a clutch switch in the left handlebar switch assembly. This allows the scoot to be started in any gear or in neutral when the clutch lever is pulled in, otherwise, the scoot will not start, and you just need to put scoot in neutral before starting. Protecting the brain-dead (like me once in a while at 5:30am in the morning) and bar hoppers is a good thing, right!!

So the clutch lever has a little nub on it to engage and disengage the mini-switch. Until HD releases the patent(s) (I think 1 year after bike release) then aftermarket can't reproduce that part.

If you don't care about this feature, then after market levers should fit and work, but only can start scoot when in neutral.

There are some aftermarket levers out there, and I asked my choice vendor about 07', and they replied "IT SHOULD WORK", if not, send them back...[hr]. Surrrrrrrrrrrrre!! But, what about the clutch switch, UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Old 12-08-2007, 07:43 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 07; Deluxe, aftermarket hand levers...

here's a pic of clutch lever and the tiny switch....

[IMG]local://upfiles/34488/D7E6E94308284E0B8689CDDB86651506.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like HD is going the way of Honda. Next thing you know, they'll be putting a jiffy stand kill swithch and a nuetral start switch on the bike. Safety switches do not make up for ignorance.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:36 PM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 159 Likes on 98 Posts

maybe I'm missing something, but why would you want to start the bike in gear? I make sure mine is in neutral before I start it anyway.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:30 PM
T Rat
Tourer

Even if the green "N" (neutral) light is on, I always pull the clutch in and start the bike. Better safe than repairing and replacing!

Old 12-08-2007, 07:08 PM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 159 Likes on 98 Posts

absolutely. that's just begging for trouble.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:32 PM
07deluxe
Road Captain

I installed some kury's awhile back and had no issues, works fine, wont start if its gear either....

Old 12-09-2007, 06:45 AM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How can HD patent a feature that has been on Jap bikes for 20 years+ ??

DeanO

ORIGINAL: ronyd

This is just an informational SO YOU KNOW issue.

For all thinking about replacing hand control levers with aftermarket, but careful!! Especially if your purchasing on-line without making any calls first.

HD levers are the only "fully capable" replacement option you have currently. There's a clutch switch in the left handlebar switch assembly. This allows the scoot to be started in any gear or in neutral when the clutch lever is pulled in, otherwise, the scoot will not start, and you just need to put scoot in neutral before starting. Protecting the brain-dead (like me once in a while at 5:30am in the morning) and bar hoppers is a good thing, right!!

So the clutch lever has a little nub on it to engage and disengage the mini-switch. Until HD releases the patent(s) (I think 1 year after bike release) then aftermarket can't reproduce that part.

If you don't care about this feature, then after market levers should fit and work, but only can start scoot when in neutral.

There are some aftermarket levers out there, and I asked my choice vendor about 07', and they replied "IT SHOULD WORK", if not, send them back...
[hr]
. Surrrrrrrrrrrrre!! But, what about the clutch switch, UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Old 12-09-2007, 09:01 PM
HDluxy
Cruiser

How do you like those Samson pipes? WHere did you buy them?

Old 12-09-2007, 10:09 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

That kill switch on the clutch lever must be new for '07...no such thing on my '06...I replaced my clutch/brake levers w/ chrome aftermarkets and had no fitment problems whatsoever...and I HAVE started it in gear...lesson learned...won't happen again.

Quick Reply: 07; Deluxe, aftermarket hand levers...