Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Inverted Front End

Old 12-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Gigawitz
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HD Inverted Front End

If you have the extra cash, I would go inverted for shure. Not only do inverted front ends look better, but they also improve handling especially under heavy braking. They are much more rigid because of the increases tubing diameter at the lower tree flex point.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:34 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply, especially the last one. This is exactly what I wanted/needed to know.....My FXST is Silver, and I've put some chrome on it, so I'm going with the chrome inverted front end, to set it off......I've chromed pretty much everything possible on the rear end (even polished the lip of the rear wheel, but left the middle section cast). So, this will just set it off more. Thanks again.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:14 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: donk_316

ORIGINAL: George C

My opinion?
Clear coat the Denim.
Worst. Idea. Ever.

Thats why i bought the chrome one and having the triple trees powdercoated gloss black, like the frame to give the look of extended, stretched frame.

The upper larger tubes are denim black with silver "lines" to mimick the engines machining and the lowers are chrome. The axle supports are also black denim so they flow into the front fender to look like one piece.

Not completed yet.
Is it really?
I just don't care for the dull paint..
JMO..

Old 12-11-2007, 07:10 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the inverted forks and think they were a major improvement performance wise. I did not measure for length compared to the stock forks, but they do seem higher, maybe because the trees are so much beefier. I don't believe that any additional rake is added through the trees; the fork tubes are parallel with the steering neck, and the trees are flatwhere the bearing cups contact the trees. I do know that youwill not be able to add additonal rake with cups....the tubes are thicker where the triple trees pinch them. The additional rake would lengthen the distance between the treesmaking it impossible; the neck would have to be altered.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:08 PM
TurtleRacing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mojojones

I have the inverted forks and think they were a major improvement performance wise. I did not measure for length compared to the stock forks, but they do seem higher, maybe because the trees are so much beefier. I don't believe that any additional rake is added through the trees; the fork tubes are parallel with the steering neck, and the trees are flatwhere the bearing cups contact the trees. I do know that youwill not be able to add additonal rake with cups....the tubes are thicker where the triple trees pinch them. The additional rake would lengthen the distance between the treesmaking it impossible; the neck would have to be altered.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I've wanted them for a long time so I think I'm gonna go for it.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:38 AM
bugmann78
Advanced

I love the way handle on my train big improvement. No more bottoming out the forks during heavy braking. I didnt notice any change in rake. I did have to change the handle bars to a shorter rise because the the trees are thicker than stock.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8555/5E328F601A844989AED0455AFB75D64E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-12-2007, 06:53 AM
TurtleRacing
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: bugmann78

I love the way handle on my train big improvement. No more bottoming out the forks during heavy braking. I didnt notice any change in rake. I did have to change the handle bars to a shorter rise because the the trees are thicker than stock.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8555/5E328F601A844989AED0455AFB75D64E.jpg[/IMG]

Where did you get your blinker mounts?

Old 12-12-2007, 07:58 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

We are in the business of manufacturing suspension. WE DO NOT sell or produce products for Softail models. It does take a great amount of time to R&D every bike.

With that said; The principles of front end suspension is all of the same. The more rake (head and triple tree) you have the less the front end has the ability to work properly. With the stock Softail head rake of 32 degrees & no raked trees, an inverted or otherwise front end will work properly due to rake and trail.

We had dealings with Marzocchi when the products were made in Italy. The product is now made in China. The product quality of the race front ends were great. We are a service center for Marzocchi but I have never had the opportunity to service these HD branded forks. The important valued parts are the parts you can not see. Just because it is inverted does not necessary mean that it is a good fork. More research on your part is needed to find the answer to that question.

As far as the performance of a great front end goes, inverted, light weight, combined with great metering of rebound and compression is far superior to anything Harley puts on their bikes. The ride quality is vastly improved in the following areas:
[ol][*]Smoothness and shock absorbsion. You will not believe you are riding over the same road.[*]Safety, the wheel stays planted and in full contact of the road.[*]Weight reduction.[*]If you use heavy wheels, you have negated the benefits of this front end.[/ol]The heavier the rotating mass, the harder it is to change direction (start, stop up/down, transitioning turns). This is exemplified in the 2007 50 caliper Fat Boy wheel which weighs around 45 lbs. For an example, at 40 mph, the wheel has a (rough) weight of 4X the static weight due to inertia. That is 180 lbs. You can calculate the “Derivation of the Moment of Inertia Formula” yourself (Here) for your own wheel.

I do hope this helps you in your decision. If any more help is needed on finding resources not available to you, as always, do not hesitate to call me toll free 1-866-899-5962.

Please keep in mind we do not work on the Softail models, the principle and all suppliers are all the same though.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:17 AM
TurtleRacing
Cruiser

It doesn't help one bit. Are you saying marzocchi is made in China now? You don't work on softails? What do you work on?

Old 12-12-2007, 09:27 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

ORIGINAL: TurtleRacing

It doesn't help one bit. Are you saying marzocchi is made in China now? You don't work on softails? What do you work on?
I see where this is going. I am sorry to have tried to help all members out. I will not do that again. Sorry please excuse the post TurtleRacing. This post was made in responce to beaureed445, the origional author.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD Inverted Front End