Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MINI TACH?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:23 AM
saintslax11
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default MINI TACH?

Ive got an night train and i want to mount a mini tach on my motor. Is there any HD mount that would work for there mini tachs on the motor. I see the oil pressure ones, but i want the mini tach on there instead. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:36 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: MINI TACH?

HD doesn't make any tach mounts that will attach to the motor. Everything they have (in terms of brackets) will mount on or near the bars/riser, except of course the speedo/tach combo unit that will go in the console.

What you want is completely doable. You'll just have to get brackets (and maybe the tach too) from the aftermarket. I usually start at Drag Specialties and work out from there.

Good luck.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:56 AM
the black pearl
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kuryakyn has them with the oil press gauge

Old 12-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Nasty350LT1
Cruiser

Why would you want to mount a tach on the motor ?
Next you will want to mount an oil pressure gauge on
the handle bars. What am I missing here ?

Why not just get one of these ?

http://www.speedwayinstrument.com/Products.html

Old 12-16-2007, 11:42 AM
saintslax11
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks bensonjvand the black pearl. That is the next place i will look. Appreciate the response. Oh, and not to forget about you Nasty350LT1. Why a tach on my motor u ask? well lets see maybe because i like the look of my bars just like you like the look of studded seats and saddle bags.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:23 PM
DanDeuce
Road Captain

I personally don't think I would want to be looking DOWN at my motor / tach when I should be paying attention to the road and all the cagers on their cell phones ! Just a thought , to each his own .

I also don't care for another object ( tach ) on my bars , therefore I have no tach . One day maybe I'll get the combo speedo / tach , have not justified the cost yet !

Old 12-27-2007, 10:35 PM
fruikmen
Advanced

I put a speedo/tac combo on mine. But for the older bikes you have to give up the blinker cansler and ther is no trip counter. But I have been very happy with it. You can get one on E-BAY for about 80 bucks or J&P for 160

[IMG]local://upfiles/42866/42813F19E9E54AB79FEF2C4B4E4B2C7D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-28-2007, 07:04 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Dan.
I think it's a little dangerous, not for saintslax, but for the poor fool he is ready tokill along with himselffrom looking down at 5,000RPM.
I've got a mini tach on my bars. I don't care for the cluttered look either, but there really isn't another mounting choice that is safe and effective.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:49 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

personally i ruled out a tach even the tach combo. like one of the other members said i really do not want to be looking down to my gas tank or motor as you said you wanted to place yours when i am do ing 90 to 100 miles an hour.I also do not want to kill the clean look of my bars by mounting a tach there. i went through a lot of troble to chrome every thing and do internal wiring and i do not want any thing taking away from it. after weighting it up i decided aganist the tach. I do have the head mounted oil presure gauge whice to me is there for looks . there has been problems with glass mounted gauges on the heads such as the legends psi gauge for the air suspension they crack from the heat and now have done away with them or offer them as an option whice will not carry the garentee, the oil presure gauge is liquid filled(oil) with that being said the heat may affect the glass on the tach

Old 12-28-2007, 08:06 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally don't have a use for a tach but there are times when if for nothing else diagnosing a problem that may be rpm related like vibration, tuning or whatever this is the cat's ***. Only requires one wire to wrap around the sparkplug lead. Cheap too. I have used them on two stroke and four stroke aircraft engine conversions and found them very reliable. They will turn themselves on and off and log engine time as well. http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/gasoline.php
Ron

Quick Reply: MINI TACH?