Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deuce with Phatail

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 04:01 PM
liddown
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deuce with Phatail

Sorry for the vague post but I am sleepless...

Stopped at the dealer last Sunday for a little Winter relief and ran across something that is cause me to lose both sleep and my ability to concentrate.

There on the floor was "it" well at least for me, a 2005 Deuce with a Phatail conversion, along with custom wheels and a whole host of chrome and a very nice looking Corbin solo seat. Looks like an SE conversion and two to one pipes, with 5K miles... Second biggest mistake was sitting on the bike, it fit me perfect, not usual for my 5'7" self.... It was a Sunday so can't talk to a sales guy (thanks Minnesota), probably a good thing...

So being a noob in the Softail world can someone tell me if the Phatail s a good conversion, and if this sounds like a dream or a nightmare.....

Thanks for the education.....

Old 12-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Deuce with Phatail

From what I've read it's supposed to be a well made kit. People seem to be very happy with them. Personally, however, I think it is ugly as hell. Something about the weird curve in the fender struts and then the license plate mounted in the fender. I think the Heartland kits are MUCH better looking. It's all a matter of opinion though.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:12 PM
reh13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The phatail is made by PM and is a quality kit,but so is heartland's.The license plate in the fender is an option.I guess it all comes down to which one you like best.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:04 PM
TIPN8R
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

I have the PM kit on my bike. The previous owner had installed it before the Heartland kit was available. If I had to do it over again, i'd go w/the Heartland kit with the optional seat/backrest combo that the PM kit does not offer...

Old 12-18-2007, 08:07 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you post some pics? Also, what are they asking for it?

Your riding an 07 XL now? Do you own it? If not, on a trade, even if they work with you, you'll likely be upside down on the quity. But if the Deuce is the bike you really want, and they can make the deal work for you, I say go for it.

You might also be able to get them to agree to a short warranty period to cover your concerns about the Phatail kit. I had a deal worked like that on a Springer with a S&S 103" kit in it that had no documentation to show its pedigree. The bike ran great but there was no way to know what was lurking inside the cases. The deal was right but another bike turned out to be the one.

Anyway, if this passes the smell test and they can make you happy on the terms, Merry Christmas.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:25 PM
liddown
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am ok with the 07xl that will hang around for a while so financially I am ok there....

The pricing here is $19K... being a noob in the softail world I am not sure if that is outrageous (it is a dealer price), or if this is in line, seems high to me... I am interested also in how this holds value with the newer bikes having the 96, and a 6 speed, I believe the 05 Deuce is a 5 speed correct? Trying to understand the common view on the 88 vs 96 and do folks find a value difference there..

If not this one, maybe a new build is what I need to tackle, in any case I like the look and the fit for me..... Save the flames, just trying to learn....

Old 12-18-2007, 09:44 PM
BoneCrusher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn I like that! I'd get that damn windshield off there and throw some drag bars on it and drool all day lol.

The '05 is a 5 speed. The 96 hasn't shown to be a real big jump in performance over the 88 with mods being the same. I dynoed at 71 RWHP/80 RWTQ with a stage one (non baffled pipes), PCIII. The 6 speed is awesome though when you hit the highway otherwise you lug the engine. The 96B and the 6 speed would definitely add to the resale value of an '07 though. I'm sure you know this but the '07 Deuce is the only factory produced Deuce with the 96B and the 6 speed tranny since they killed it for '08.

Good luck let us know what happens.