Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ThunderMax Install

Old 12-22-2007, 05:47 PM
David96B
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ThunderMax Install

Hi everyone, Merry Christmas, I just got through installing my new ThunderMax and thought I would give a report. This was installed on a 2007 Heritage with SE air filter and stock pipes. First, it was much easier to install than I thought it would be. I thought the o2 sensor removal would be hard so I purchased an O2 7/8" socket to be prepared. It would not fit between the rear sensor and the cylinder head so I just used a 7/8" open-end wench and both sensors came off very easily, no problem at all. So after getting that over with I started with the instructions.

Step 1, installing the software, was no problem, I did not need the auth. code.
Step 2 remove the EMC fuse.
Found fuse box OK but which one? Finally looked on side of fuse box cover to locate which fuse.
Step 2a unplug old ECM no problem.
Step 2b remove the old ECM no problem.
Step 2c install new Tmax no problem
Step 2d Run the o2 sensor wires…. Where?

I had to lift the battery out and run the new O2 wires through the bottom of the battery compartment and also disconnect the old rear O2 sensor at the same time. But after getting the battery out (using a screwdriver to pry up on side of battery) it all worked fine.
Step 2e mount Tmax no problem.
Step 2f, g, h, I, WTF. Oh that for a Dyna.
Step j Is this where I start back? Well I need to connect the o2 sensors I will just do it and it all worked out.

Step 3 Computer crap.
Just followed the instructions exactly and had no problems till Step 8. WTF does "grab the open map page’s focus (blue) bar" mean? It just means to move or minimize the open dialog box. It also helps to make sure the Tmax program window is maximized. The Gages are just numbers in boxes not gages with pointers!
Step 10 and 11 no problems. I let it warm up to 280 degrees.

Unhooked everything and put the seat on and went out in the cold light drizzle and tried it out. Runs and idles great. I was afraid to twist it up to much as the streets were wet but I will report back soon as to the performance results. All in all about 4 hours including 2 trips to Auto Zone and a cup of tea. If I did it again I think I could do it in about 2 hours or less. The hardest part was running the o2 sensor wires. I hope this will help someone because I was a little apprehensive about doing this and running into problems. Everything worked great and the bike runs smooth. It seems to run much cooler but in the cold rain it’s hard to tell.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
David 96B

Old 12-22-2007, 07:42 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: ThunderMax Install

Glad your install went so smoothly. Nice of you to post a "tutorial" for others.