Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Mod Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 02:30 AM
lilwilly
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Mod Question

The dealer called yesterday to let me know my Deluxe was built and has shipped. They said it should be here in January. The salesman asked if I wanted any mods or accessories added before I picked it up. I definitely plan on adding things and making the bike my own, but is there any item that you guys would recommend that I have the dealer add? I plan on pipes, AC, and probably ThunderMax, plus Chrome, and maybe the riders essential kit. I consider myself fairly handy with mechanical work, so I was planning on installing all of these items myself. I figure half the fun is doing the work myself and getting to know the bike. Are any of these items extremely difficult? Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Old 12-23-2007, 03:02 AM
Huey Driver
Tourer
Default RE: Dealer Mod Question

If you think you have the tools and the ability to install the items yourself then thats the route I would take. No one's gonna take care of your bike as much as you will!

Old 12-23-2007, 05:08 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Best reason to have the dealer do it when the bike is new, is that it becomes covered under the factory warrenty for 2 years, and the extended warrenty (if purchasesd) after that. If you install them, the normal part warrenty is only 90 days.

I suppose it would depend on WHAT you are having done.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:21 AM
rockerhead
Road Captain

The warranty CANNOT BE AFFECTED unless the manucacturer can prove that the installed part led to failure! There are numerous posts on this subject,
Don't let the dealer bullshit you.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:45 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the dealer wants to do it so they can charge you the going shop rate (my dealer is $82.50/hr)..... and every different item you add has it's own hourly rate... ie: back rest -1 hr, luggage rack - 1 hr, engine guard - 1.2 hrs. it'll take you a fraction of the time to do it all, and look at all the money you'll save - plus the knowledge you did it!

Old 12-23-2007, 07:53 AM
WaterHog
Road Captain

New Griips? For you, 1 hr! ($75)
New pipes? For you, 3 hrs ($225)

Do it yourself also its the best way to know your bike.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:02 AM
1BadTrain
Cruiser

Get some beer and do it yourself. Save money........for more beer!

Old 12-23-2007, 08:54 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealer can discount as much as 50% off so if you can get the dealer to do some free labor and reduced parts you may want to do that. I had that done but it was before the sale. I think dealer wants 800 for the t max, ebay has dealer selling for 700. compare prices too. The add ons have nothing to do with warranty.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:08 AM
drummer3278
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I had the knowledge and time to do my own mods. The Dealer here wants $1500.00 for V&H pipes, race tuner, and something else I forgot, installed. I figure if I did it myself, it would probably be half. The question is do I have the time? No. It's worth it for me to pay the extra. It's all about priorities. Sure I would like to be able to figure it out, and do it myself, but it ain't happening. If you have the knowledge, tools, and time, Go for it!

Old 12-23-2007, 09:21 AM
sportncruise
Road Captain

I got my pipes and Tmax and air filter all at the same time. I got home around 5-5:30pm and by 7:00pm I had the new pipes installed with the new O2 sensors. The next day I installed the air filter and T-max.
The air filter was simple except that the bolts didn't line up perfectly so it took some pushing and pulling to get everthing to line up.
The T-max is bone simple to install as it only envolves removing the bolts holding the stock ECU, removing the wiring harness and the wires to the stock O2 sensors. Installing the T-max is just as simple with the exception of 1 more wire.

The only thing hard about the exhaust is simply being able to get to the header bolts to get them off and on. Remove the guards on the stock exhaust to make it easier for the rear. Getting the bolt back on and started I used a screw driver and taped the nut to the end so I could get a few threads on it.

If you can change a tire and oil on your car this stuff is basic.

The instructions for the T-max are very good and they have pics.
For a stock 96" stock motor air filter they have many maps for different pipes to get it started.

1 thing, get the new exhaust gaskets before you get home.

Good luck and have fun!

Quick Reply: Dealer Mod Question