Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ticket on my Deluxe, Bummer.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:47 PM
marty44
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First ticket on my Deluxe, Bummer.

Just went out yesterday afternoon (Xmas eve) to gas up my bike and I was stopped for speeding in my own development. Cop asked me how fast I was going and I said 30-32 mph (25 mph posted). Then he says "sorry you said that" and proceeds to write me up. He also said I couldn't be going that slow on my bike, (wtf does that mean?) When he came back with the ticket he said I should have said I didn't know how fast I was going. He then tells me he let me off easy with a $120 ticket instead of the $189 it could have been, and the usual stuff about mailing it in, taking the safe driver's course etc. Then he has the nerve to tell me he rides too, a Gold Wing, like I really care now that he rides too. Now I probably was going closer to 40 than 30 but the things he said pissed me off. It sounded like he picked me out for riding a bike. I've been living in this development over 20 years and routinely drive 35-40 in my car and have never gotten a ticket till now. I'm thinking of challenging it in court, maybe he won't show up. I haven't had a speeding ticket in 15 years so I'm not too worried about the points or insurance. Any advice out there. And oh yeah Merry Xmas.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:56 PM
forever 2 wheels
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: First ticket on my Deluxe, Bummer.

Nice bike! It looks fast just sitting in the picture. Sorry to here you ended up with the ticket. Hope you beat it in court. Think of every word the officer said, maybe he writes HD owners do to his bias. Talk to his superior, you may find the ticket was lost! Good luck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/46904/CB42010692F549F48307835F5F07BAAA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/46904/19745D97A74541BFA6E4301799E8CDF9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-25-2007, 01:58 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

So what did he write you for....speed wise??

Old 12-25-2007, 02:33 PM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

He was fishing and you gave him the info needed to make a case. You never admit to a speed. Rather, you ask him how fast you were going. If he cannot sayyour speedsays something looking for you to confirma speed (as in "you must have been going at least 35 mph")he is just fishing and you just admitted to it. Sorry, but you got yourself written up. Pay the man and move on. Lesson learned.

Mark

Old 12-25-2007, 02:37 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If u live close enough to the court location I would challenge it. Bring up the fact that the cop had no visual estimation or confirmation with radar, but based the citation soley on your stated guess-ta-mate. Afterall your not sure how fast you were going anyhow......And if nothing else, he doesnt show up and the charge is dropped..........That whole verbal exchange sounds goofey anyhow and makes other good cops look bad, shame on him.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:41 PM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Unibomber

If u live close enough to the court location I would challenge it. Bring up the fact that the cop had no visual estimation or confirmation with radar, but based the citation soley on your stated guess-ta-mate. Afterall your not sure how fast you were going anyhow......And if nothing else, he doesnt show up and the charge is dropped..........That whole verbal exchange sounds goofey anyhow and makes other good cops look bad, shame on him.
Sorry to disagree. Marty's own statements implicated him and are admissable as fact in court. The only thing that will help him is if there is nobody there to make the case for the city but the cop is paid to be there as part of his job.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I sure hope you live in a development where nobody else lives.
Now I'm the first to be doing 80-90 on the freeway and over posted limits on backroads, but I always respect neighborhoods.

The other night some kid was blasting up and down the street doing about 50 on his rocket.
I was in a foul mood and tired of people speeding on these small streets.
Grabbed my ax (yes ax, cause i figured he would stop or get the hell out. Well that and it happened to be close by) and stood in the middle of the street waiting for him.

Turns out this kid is really a guy much older than me. When I asked (remember ax is still in hand) him to slow down, that there are kids, pets, etc... about, he gave me the lip about living here longer than me and I have no right to tell him what to do.

So since I'm typing this, you know I didn't escalate things as much as I would have liked to break him and that bike at that moment.
Now I'll just be the dick on the portch with a video camera.

I have zero tolerance for people driving recklessly and taking peoples families at risk.

Marty, I'm sorry it's going to cost you but there is a simple solution. Slow down when your actions might hurt someone.

Ya, I know I'm a bitch. So anyone wants to speed, stay out of my neighborhood.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry but, there is not a court (i hope) on this planet that would convict based on "well the violator said he did it". Thats why traffic cops are certified in visualy estimation and radar use. Its really laughable, I would be emabarassed to testify in front of a judge and tell the court "well I asked him how fast he was going".....So why did he pull him over? If he didnt know his speed until the verbal exchange? A poor stop in my opinion, if in fact this is what actually occurred....I just get frustrated with stories like this because I work in the LEO field and it makes us all look bad.......Thats all...

Old 12-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Sillverback
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a few options:

1. Wave and pay fine and accept points
2. Appear and plead not guilty (taking a big chance that officer won't be there....90% of the time, they are there)
3. Plead "retirement". If you've had no tickets in 3+ yrs., the judge will most likely accept the retirement. Pay fine and no points....no insurance issues.

Speeding in nieghborhoods....not cool. JMOP.

Good luck.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:11 PM
BB06FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sillverback

Speeding in nieghborhoods....not cool. JMOP.
I completely agree. You brag about speeding in the neighborhood for years. You have been lucky until now.You screwed up and got caught. If you can't pay then don't pay!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First ticket on my Deluxe, Bummer.