Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st impressions-new cams

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st impressions-new cams

Had S&S 510 gear dive cams installed and was very please with the responsiveness and increase in power, it ran like the proverbial bat out of hell, BUTit seems to have a very slight flat mid range spot, though not bad. They also made the motor burble and pop a bit. Not the decel type of pop, but rather I heard it while shifting. Valves staying open longer?
The first thing I noticed however was the noise. I was running open V&H's with splitters and I like the sound, but now it was ear splitting. Really load when I got on it. It actually hurt my ears. I guess from the extra air the motor was getting.
Long story short, I decided to put the straight through baffles back in in deference to anyone riding behind me and also to determine if the things I mentioned would moderate.
I took it out this morning for a too short ride and it seems to run fine, (and quite)although it coughed once through the Mikuni 42. I'll try and test it more tomorrow.
Hits a mean lick at idle.
Marsh

Old 12-25-2007, 10:41 PM
agedwards63
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1st impressions-new cams

I have almost the same bike set-up is it still an 88? and is there alot of noise from the gear drives? I hear its like a whirring sound

Old 12-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

It is still an 88. I have been encouraged to ride it as is for a while by my indy wrench. He doesn't think I would get enough extra with a 95" to justify the expense. He reasons that the cams will do more to "wake up" the motor than a big bore.
As far as the noise form the gear, yes I hear it but it doesn't bother me. It's just a friendly sounding growl as I gear down and slow down. I supose if one were running stock mufflers and had a windsheil so that you hear all the motor sounds it might be disconcerting or distracting, but I kind of like it. Reminds me of what a cool cam set up I have.
Marsh

Old 12-25-2007, 10:58 PM
agedwards63
Road Master

ok that answers alot of questions I have been considering the gear drive and heard that they do almost as good as the big bore plus I want a litlle more bad a$$ sound that those seem to provide appreciate it

Old 12-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

My wrench actually said the cams do MORE than just a big bore. In fact, if you don't do the cams at the same time as the 95" you won't get much at all. Think about it. It's only 7 more inches. Thats a pretty small percentage of increase.
Marsh

Old 12-26-2007, 07:04 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A 7" increase is almost 13%, not to mention the compression bump from a larger upswept area.
Ride my 95" and you'll fire that guy for being anotherschmo calling himself a mechanic.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

Didn't mean to offend you 95 inchers.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:25 AM
seaflea
Cruiser

Thanks for the info on this. I have been thinking of doing the cams first and then (in a year or two) doing the 95 upgrade. looks like I may have to go to thse cams sooner than I thought! ; )

Old 12-26-2007, 11:31 AM
DrawDown
Road Master

anyway you could get a sound clip at idle? I'd like to hear them. Nothing sounds better than a lumpy cam at idle.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:05 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: George C

A 7" increase is almost 13%, not to mention the compression bump from a larger upswept area.
Ride my 95" and you'll fire that guy for being anotherschmo calling himself a mechanic.

I agree.

Quick Reply: 1st impressions-new cams