Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Another Recall ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:40 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What Another Recall ?

My 2007 Fatboy dropped dead Christmas day. The main fuse blew. I had it towed to the shop today and they found the 40 amp wire was cut by the rubbing against the oil tank. This is different that the main battery wire issues that was a recall. The cradle was in place and the main wire was protected. So the recall was done. This is a new issue and just wonder if others have had the same. I noticed the speedometer shaking some times. I reported it but was told to wait to see if it goes out. This started at about 1000 miles. I have 9000 today when the wire shorted. i think the speedometer was indication of something touching. I also smelled burning oder in the pas few weeks but could not tell if it was in the air.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:12 PM
BigMike17
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RE: What Another Recall ?

Wow - too bad. At least they do have the recall - I've been burned with a car on something similiar...thousands of problems reported but no recall issued. Glad to hear Harley makes it right.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:00 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's weird. The only place itcouldbe made totouch on my fxstc is where it bolts on with the main positive terminal but it would have to be installed pointing the wrong direction or something. Plenty of air space on mine and no way it could be made to short out. It does however go on first and then the main positive cable over it when attached to the battery terminal. That in itself could explain why yours was so close to the tank.
Ron

Old 12-27-2007, 08:55 PM
shovel52
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The wiring on my '07 Deuce looked like a fifth grader had wired it. Even before I took it in for the recall, I had moved everything around. I hardwired a battery tender to it the other day and cleaned it up a little more. Now it looks pretty nice. I put several pieces of rubber hose over wires and wrapped some rubber around some obvious rub points etc. I used about 12 wire ties to kind of reinforce things in there. I am always pretty big on keeping the plus and the minus pretty far apart. It looks pretty sanitary now. I even installed a fusible link in the battery tender in case it gets into something sharp that I didn't see. Probably a little overkill, but it beats sitting on something hotter than that 96ci steamer anyway. Tight spaces are just hard to put wires in. Ken

Old 01-02-2008, 02:48 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I checked the work they did and it was different than the recall. The recall was to install a plastic caddy that has a place for the main battery wire that comes from the positive terminal. The problem with mine is the fused wire along with all the others that run past the oil tank. The suppler of the tank sent to Harley tanks with sharp edge and then they chromed it. The sharp edge was not fixed because Harley would have to replace the oil tanks. They just protect the main non-fused wire on the recall. They need to have all the 53,000 bikes brought in to have the rest of the wires protected. The dealer wrapped my wires in rubber and then used a wire loom. Someday it will cut the wires again but not until the warranty has expired. The speedometer still shakes.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Pops28
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya, i heard of a lot of guys Oil Lines catching fire. The cable would short against the frams and an arc woul jump from the oli lines, causing a fire... eek