Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have Big City Baffles in their V&H BSS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 06:42 PM
jglasgow110
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody have Big City Baffles in their V&H BSS?

I just did the stage 1 & 2 (upgraded to the 103) and had some V&H BSS installed. The sound is good, it's actually louder than I thought it would be, but I'm wondering if stalling the Big City Baffles will give a deeper "throatier" sound or willtheydeepen a little after they are "broken" in. Also, will going to the Big City Baffles effect the horsepower in any way?

Old 12-27-2007, 07:00 PM
moggsy
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Anybody have Big City Baffles in their V&H BSS?

Dont know if this helps but i had them in my v&h big shot longs.Sound was definitely deeper and throatier and i didnt feel a loss of low down power but i know some people state they have.I have the HD stage 1 a/c as well.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:07 PM
jglasgow110
Tourer

Thanks moggsy...I just did the 103 upgrade and NOW'S the time to get the BCB while I'm still in the "breaking in" period. After I get 500-600 miles on it they're going to stick it on the dyno for the final adjustment...If I'm going to do it...I need to do it BEFORE it gets it's final dyno.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:39 AM
moggsy
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mate just to clarify i had the thundermonster baffles from BCT.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:42 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,975 Likes on 21,320 Posts

Personally I think that the BCT's will give you a little boost in power. At least they did me. They work much better than do the cones, of which are where the real waste of $ is.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Tileman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Monster Baffles in my Python Staggered Duals, which are the same dimensions as the V&H BSS. The Monster Baffles definitely made the sound deeper and louder. As far as power, low end torque suffered slightly but the HPpower gain above 3500 RPM was very noticeable. The bike used to run out of steam above 80, now it pulls like a freight train to 100.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:57 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Everything I have learned has me reading a couple of things here backwards.

Adding baffles to V&H BSS will increase low-end torque and have you lose a little horsepower. Only enough (of each) to be measured on a dyno, not by the seat of your pants. It will lower the overall sound power output, keeping the sound deep and more throaty. You won't bother a soul in your neighborhood or set off any car alarms in a parking lot.

The BSS pipes with their stock baffles will absoulty sound louder, and a bit of tin sound will be noticed until the interior pipe walls and baffles get covered with some carbon soot. After 600 miles (or so) you won't hear any tin sound.

A favorate past time of mine is to cruise the mega-store parking lots and bark the throttle. The stock BSS pipes will trigger car alarms up tothirty feet away. Hee hee. (j/k about it being a favorate past time).

Don't even take a pair of free cones from your best friend. They are a waste of money when compared to fiberglass-packed baffles (e.g. V&H quiet baffles).

Old 12-28-2007, 09:31 AM
jglasgow110
Tourer

Thanks for the advice. Based on some reading I've done...it seems that I will lose a fair amount of hp/tq by changing the baffles out, at least that is what another poster stated that had happened to him and he had also just done the 103 bore kit...he stated it killed almost all his gains from the build!

These rascals are definitely louder than I thought they'd be, but, I had straight drag pipes on the last bikeso I'm used to loud...I guess I just wasn't expecting this kind of bark with these pipes...I wish they were just a little deeper though....I guess I'm going to be wearing ear plugs to save what little hearing I have left.

Poorboy, thanks for letting me know these things "break in" after I get some miles on them and, hopefully, they'll get just a hair deeper sound...I'll just waituntil I have some more miles on them to see what happens.There was a substantial difference in the hp/tq after installing the stage 1 & 2 and I sure don't want to mess with that. I was really torn between the big radius and the BSS...I'm really glad I went with the BSS...they go well with the lines of the bike and the power chamber is supposed to be ALMOST as good as a 2 into1 pipe.

I'll have to try the parking lot thing and see how many car alarms I can set off. Cranking this thing up in the garage has to be akin to firing up a dragster...it rattles the windows and vibrates everything, and I get this crazy grin that goes from ear to ear.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't know if this isrelevant or not, but I put the V&H Quite baffles in my Pythons and was very disappointed in the noticeable loss of power. I pulled them out immediately.
I really prefer running with no baffles but since I put the S&S cams in, they hurt my ears when I romp on it, so the stock through baffles went back in-at least for now.
Marsh

Old 12-31-2007, 10:38 PM
fourspeed
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if you are interested in less noise or more noise, but Jim at BCT told me they expect to have a new baffle out very soon that will be quieter than the current version. Just something for you to think about.

Quick Reply: Anybody have Big City Baffles in their V&H BSS?