Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

popping on decel....DELUXE

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:58 AM
1radtoy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default popping on decel....DELUXE

I have an 07 Deluxe...with V & H BSS, SERT, SEAC. I seem to get popping on decel. Had the bike dynotuned and although it runs better still does the same. The tech told me that this was the best map he could use. I have a printout of the map if needed. I am sure there are others on the board that have the same setup. If there is I could use some help. I have searched but found others using different combos of stuff. Thanks for any help

Old 12-30-2007, 12:09 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Default RE: popping on decel....DELUXE

Sounds like it is still lean. BAD DYNO RUN.

If you can tweak it yourself try just richening up the numbers just a bit to see if it helps.

Good Luck

Old 12-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be an air leak, check the tightness at your headpipes.
Could be too lean, could be too rich. If you are dumping fuel at 0% throttle, it will pop.
If you are too lean, you could create heat and popping.

Some popping is normal, but its more of a gurgle sound.

Ultimately, your tuner should work this out. You didn't pay for him to try, you paid for him to tune. It should be warrantied.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:08 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Some popping is normal, but its more of a gurgle sound.

Ultimately, your tuner should work this out. You didn't pay for him to try, you paid for him to tune. It should be warrantied.

+1

Old 12-30-2007, 03:56 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed, the tuner should fix your issue, but in the mean time, just do a search on decel pop and you'll many many threads.

Here's one thread if you read the whole thread, I give the receipe on how I got rid of my decel popping.
Jack

https://www.hdforums.com/m_698430/tm.htm

Old 12-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Josey Wales
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

by the way you worded your post it sounds like this to me:

1. "The best map he could use" Sounds like he just installed a map from the SERT software and did not bother setting up a custom map. which makes me think that is 100% of your problem. If you paid for a dyno tune then you did not get it, you just got a dyno run...Big differnece!

2. If he did in fact customize a map, he did not do it correctly and should retune for free.

3. Ifhe will not fix it and itdrives you nuts and you are waiting to find a Tuner that will fix it for you the correct way in the mean time...If it is only on decel then you could plug your SERT in yourself and increase the decel enleanment table to richen up the mixture until the popping goes away try an increase of 10 to start and see where that takes you. I have had excellent luck in doing this after a stage 1 before waiting for an appointment on adyno tune and using a base map.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Twolf
Road Master

I'll agree with everythin' stated above. It could be over lean or rich at decel, both will pop. Could be the timing curve.

Was this done at a dealer? If so, request a tech who knows what he is doing. A lot of dealer techs are VERY inexperienced. At our dealer, the SERT is 450 and the dynotime is 350.
For 800 bucks, go get yer money out of it all!

Also, and this oughta **** off everyone with a SERT, but it is outdated technology. You might wanna bite the bullet and get a TMax or DTT.They do not need to be tuned, they tune themselves. They also use wideband sensors while the SERT uses the stock NB sensors.
Same price as a SERT and dyno time. Just get a map that is close, and you are on the money forever within 30 minutes of riding.

The SERT still works great when set up correctly, but it don't compare to the new stuff.No flames wanted. Just call up a good
indy shop and ask what they recommend...

JMHO, but I have modified a lot of stuff in the last 33 yrs and talked to a LOT of the pros when doing my homework on designing.

Jus' sayin' ...

Old 12-30-2007, 10:05 PM
1radtoy
Cruiser

thanks for all the replys

Old 12-30-2007, 11:29 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

If it is only on decel then you could plug your SERT in yourself and increase the decel enleanment table to richen up the mixture until the popping goes away try an increase of 10 to start
Increasing the decel enleanment value will lean the mixture. Decreasing it will richen the mixture.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had that problem too!
I used the SERT andgot completely rid of the popping!
I do not consider myself even slightly knowledgable with a SERT.

PROBLEM
My popping was when I let go of the throttle about 40+ mph and 2200 rpm

SOLUTION
On the AFR table I took the 20 and 30 MAP (kPa) positions at 1750 all the way to 2500 rpms
and lowered the values (increased the fuel) by 10% (I believe you can do up to 15% if needed)
For example if the value was 13.9 then I subtracted 10%=1.39 (increasing the fuel) for avalue of 12.5

I also took the decel enleanment table and (only in the temperature range that was created popping)
I reduced the value from 0.50 to 0.07

Yes, I still get a little rumble when I let go of the throttle but I no longer get the backfires that sounded like a DRIVE BY SHOOTING!

Take the same map that "was the best map he could use" modify these values, save it as a new filename, load it on your bike and give it a try.

BTW - I had my bike dyno'ed and still had this popping problem.
This IS information I gatheredhere on HDF and it worked for me.
What a wonderful resource this HDF is!

My popping is completely GONE!

Give it a try and post your results.