Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The '06 Softail Deluxe??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:56 PM
bikenuts
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The '06 Softail Deluxe??

I bought an '07 Ultra Classic in October and really love it. Recently I saw an '06 Softail Deluxe at my dealer. Two tone, white/blue with fishtail pipe, xtra chrome, etc. One beautiful bike! Gotta' love laced wheels and wide whites. I really wasn't looking for another bike until I saw this jewel. No time for a test ride....probably not until the weekend. But I would love some feedback from those in- the- know about this bike. I am most interested to find out about any issues there might be. I know these run hot like the Ultra, but is there anything else I should be concerned about?

I am a little apprehensive about a rigid mount and a "harsh" ride....is this a big deal?

Anyway, your thoughts would be appreciated. This might be the best "retro" bike on the road!

Old 12-31-2007, 08:05 PM
T Rat
Tourer
Default RE: The '06 Softail Deluxe??

I'll tell you this. With the 88B it runs smoother than your Ultra Classic. Seriously.

My dad owns an 06 Ultra and an 07 DeLuxe. He bought his Luxe after riding mine.

Give it a spin.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:22 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

Personal oppinion only (warning made)

Great bike, smooth easy to ride, and beautiful. For long trips two up your ultra is the best. For 300 to 400 mile trips, single rider, town riding, or just in general riding around the softail beats your bike hands down in my oppinion. At stop lights it is steady as any bike could be.

Both bikes have their uses. I prefer the softail for my trips under 400 miles.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:56 PM
bikenuts
Cruiser

Vibration above 70mph? I read somewhere (older magazine review) the mirrors were useless at higher speeds, because of the vibes. True or...?

I never ride 2-up, but I like the Ultra xtras (audio, cruise, etc) for the long haul. The Softail would be in addition, not a replacement.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:08 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

Vibration around 85 to 95MHP. Mirrors are still useful but I feel it in the handle bars. Sweet spot for a softail is anything at or below 80 MPH. All 88B or younger engines are much better then pre 2000 models. The pre 88 B and younger models shook really bad but todays is a different story. If you read reviews on the 2007 2008 Heritage most say its better than the Road King because of 6th gear. The 6ths gear I hear stops high speed vibration like I stated above. I have a 2006 5 gear so I can comment on 6th gear. Great addition if thats what you can afford. Recommend it actually. I put a Ulta Trouring bag (the one you take off the sissy bar)on the back ofmine plus the big saddle bags that come on the Heritage and carry more than my friends with Ultras.

Both are great bikes and both have their places. Long distance over 400 miles the ulta under I pick the softail.

Ultras

Old 12-31-2007, 09:13 PM
Nails
Cruiser

Useless mirrors at 70?? Myth, mine still work perfect at 85-90.

Btw, the Ultra stays home even on the cross-country 700 mile/day trips. Now that I have the Springer's it never get's ridden. I will sell it this Spring. Won't miss something I don't use or need.

Here's the lame steed which collects dust.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:20 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

Sweet ride Nail. Love the apes.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:57 PM
fourspeed
Advanced

I doubt that you will feel the heat from a Deluxe as you would from the Ultra. With all the fairings and shrouding you will feel more heat from the Ultra. The Deluxe will feel cooler as there is more air flow around the engine on the Deluxe than around the Ultra. Both bikes have their pluses and their minuses.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:16 PM
bj2005
Advanced

Deluxe hands down. Awesome bike. Easy to ride. Low center of gravity makes this a dream in terms of handling. Test ride it.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

You won't go wrong with the Deluxe. great bike, smooth ride, fantastic balance. Totally awesome scoot.

Once in a while, I even get to ride it...when I don't let the Wife know I am taking it lol..

Quick Reply: The '06 Softail Deluxe??