Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warm up time 2008 softail custom

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:11 AM
imbigmike
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warm up time 2008 softail custom

Alright, it's my turn for dumb question of the month club. I just bought a 2008 softail custom and my dealer says you really have to let these things warm up before you ride. A couple of minutes at least and don't stop and let it idle for any extended period of time either. Ok that being said, I always let my Sporty warm up a minuteand then played with the choke until it was go time. Without a choke, what do you recommend for warm up time before taking off?

Old 01-03-2008, 11:43 AM
paulca
Road Captain
Default RE: warm up time 2008 softail custom

Welcome to the forums.

I start the bike, put my gloves on and ride off - easy for the first mile or so (there's a low speed limit where I live).

So what does your dealer say is an extended idle period?

Old 01-03-2008, 11:50 AM
seaflea
Cruiser

Welcome to the forums. I do the almost same thing. Start it up get the helmet on and ride. taake it easy throught the neighborhood and then take off when I get to the highway! If its really cold out I will let it warm up for a couple of minutes but thats it.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:53 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my buddy (new to Harleys) said the dealer told him to wait until the rear jug was hot to the touch. I laughed and said I'd be miles ahead by then.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:53 AM
DrawDown
Road Master

Me too, i start it up, get my gloves and glasses on, and ride off. I take it easy for the first couple of miles which is about how long it takes to get outta the neighborhood and to the main road.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put on my helmet, gloves, and glasses, then start it up and ride off. I don't let mine warm up at all. I ride easy, of course, through the neighborhood, which is about 1/2 mile. But then I just ride it like I normally would. No "warm-up" for me.

As far as letting the bike idle for a long time, that's probably because they can heat up fairly quickly if you're not moving (Thank you EPA! [:@]).

Old 01-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Bikenator
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: imbigmike

Alright, it's my turn for dumb question of the month club. I just bought a 2008 softail custom and my dealer says you really have to let these things warm up before you ride. A couple of minutes at least and don't stop and let it idle for any extended period of time either. Ok that being said, I always let my Sporty warm up a minuteand then played with the choke until it was go time. Without a choke, what do you recommend for warm up time before taking off?
Sounds like your dealer ate a big bowl of Crapola!
I let it run for about 30 secondsfrom a cold start,
keep revs down until riding for about 15 minutes.
Common senseusing a cold motor should be your guide.
I live in South Florida so I try to avoid long idleperiods
when the weather gets really hot. Shutting it off
when it gets hot in a parade orin long traffic line
waiting for the stop lighthelps keep temps down.
So will an oil cooler.

Congratulations on a very smart buy!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The owner's manual (gee, anybody else open that thing??) says 15-30 seconds. I figure by the time I get on and back out of a parking spot it's been 15 seconds easy.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:40 PM
I CUT 1
Tourer

I think some warm-up time couldn't hurt, even during the summer time just to let oil presure build and get to parts that it needs to get too. Now during the winter months I've be known to ride when it has been as low as 25* at night coming home after working 2nd shift, (am I crazy, NO, just love to ride), then I'll let'er warm up a few minutes. Long idle aren't good ether, more than 5 minutes, and I'm shutn' down. I've pushed it during a traffic jam or two.
Play it smart, learn to lesson to your bike, even to smell it. Like a baby, it can talk to you, it's up to you to figure out what it's saying.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49112/783A3C0DDB8E4329AF8DFD822D74B07A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/49112/258BA4D98B0A46CDA1CD34D2D3D3B81E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-03-2008, 03:48 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First thing in the morning in summer months, no more then in takes to check the head/tail lights and brake light. Winter months, not much more then it takes to put beanie, helmet and gloves on. I take it easy on the first few 1st to 2nd shifts since the tranny is stiff. Then somebody on the boards here said, "don't make her sing until her throat is good and warmed up". I like that saying and remind myself of that saying before I let her rip.

Quick Reply: warm up time 2008 softail custom