Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another exhaust question

Old 01-04-2008, 06:17 AM
jr88dale
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another exhaust question

I am a 07 Heritage Softail owner(New to the Harley lifestyle). I spent several hours reading all over this site and think I know what i am going to do but looking for final answers. To start as much as I wish I could say "F-them" I need to be neighbor friendly. I leave for work at 5:45 in the morn
I am looking at Rush slip-ons either 1.5 or 1.75
Questions
1. Is there a big differance in sound between the 1.5 and 1.75?
2. Can either of theses be added without any other changes being made to bike(air cleaner, downloads, etc)?
3. Would the V&H true duals be alot louder then either of the above?

Old 01-04-2008, 07:07 AM
ozzy07840
Cruiser
Default RE: another exhaust question

congrads on the new softail i have the rush slip ons on my fxst i started with the 1.75 and then changed the baffles to the 2.0 .. i think that you would do better with the 1.5 baffles if your worried about waking people up in the morning .i had the 1.75 on my bike and was talking to the lady 5 condos down from me if she heard me at 530 in the morning ,she said that she did but it was ok because she now knows when its time to get up in the morning ... i switched to the 2.0 only because to me its louder and i hate my neibours anyway ... with the 1.75 and the 2.0 i didnt have to remap or anything it runs fine !!! i was thinking about going the the v&h true duals myself but why spend all that money with a tuner so im sticking with the slip ons ,i think that the v&h would be much louder then the rush slip ons anyway i would put rush on or anyother exhaust system that you like because in my opionion the stock harley sound sucks oh and if you dont like the 1,5 you could alway change out the baffles for like 60 bucks ive done it its not that hard .... i hope this helps some good luck Rich

Old 01-04-2008, 08:46 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would gowith the Rush slip ons with the1.5 baffles.
Tom

Old 01-04-2008, 08:57 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've read several posts here from those with the 1.50s and seems most say they can't detect any difference in noise level between those and the 1.75s. Some say they justhave a more tinny sound. If you haven't done so already go to epiflex.com and listen to the different sound videos.

Based on the recs here I went with the 1.75s on my08 Heritage andimo they're plentyloud.I have awindshield andsome saythat makes themsound louder to the rider. I haven't done any mods and the bike runs fine with them. Some have said they've had minor decel popping but I haven't had any.

If I ever hear anything better on another bike I wouldn't hesitate to switch over.I'veread some guys are happy with theSE slipons. I don't know for sure butsince they'reEPA stamped Isuspect they can't be much louder than stock.

BTW, Igot mine from cyclespot @$232 delivered.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:20 AM
jr88dale
6th Gear

yosay the 1.75 where pretty loud is that when you get up and go or even at idel? I am most concered with start up and idel in the morn. The hell with them after that

Old 01-05-2008, 09:28 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jr88dale

yosay the 1.75 where pretty loud is that when you get up and go or even at idel? I am most concered with start up and idel in the morn. The hell with them after that
It'swhen you twist the throttle good. At cruising speed with a windshield and half helmet it's loud enough that I think it could get old on a long run. Taking off the windshield, wearing a 3/4 helmet, or even earplugs could help with that. I've only put about 100 miles on them somy evaluation is ongoing.

If you want to hear 2.0s on a deluxe check GAGirls thread. Go to post #16 where she has a link to a video of her bike at idle and accelerating. Even though they're 2.0s, you can expect the 1.75s to sound essentially the same. Least I think so.
And as I said earlier there's always the epiflex.com sound videos.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2641637/tm.htm

Old 01-07-2008, 09:37 AM
jr88dale
6th Gear

Well I bought the 1.50 Friday and they will hopefully be here during this week. I hope you are right about this... I would hate to have to hunt you down....lol
Thanks for the help to everyone...will post my results and opinons when they are on

Old 01-07-2008, 10:25 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jr88dale

Well I bought the 1.50 Friday and they will hopefully be here during this week. I hope you are right about this... I would hate to have to hunt you down....lol
Thanks for the help to everyone...will post my results and opinons when they are on
Right about what?.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:15 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 23,569 Likes on 5,222 Posts

I've had the 1.5, the 1.75 and the 2.0 on my '06 Heritage Classic at one time or another.

Disliked the 1.5, sounded like stock to me, but worse, like a sewing machine, sort of. Took them out almost immediately. The 1.75 were fine for volume, but to my ear at cruise they had a kind of beat or "thrumming" noise that got on my nerves pretty quickly. Out they came.

After consulting with the folks at Rush, they told me that the decibel level of the 2.0 wasn't much different than the 1.75, but that the tone was appreciably different. They were right. The tone of the 2.0 is much deeper, more "rumbly" than the 1.75. They were a little louder than I would have liked at cruise, but not bad, and anyway, I wear earplugs.

Also, changing out the baffles is easy or not, depending on how medieval you're willing to get with a hammer and a piece of wood, and how stuck they are. Don't think they just slide in and out like you-know-what: they don't.

After a season -- with a quick detour to V&H Big Shot Longs (great look, too loud even with "quiet baffles" and serious power drop) -- I went with the D&D Fatcat 2:1 with quiet baffle; gained about 3 hp and 3 ft/lbs of torque over the Rush as well as better dyno curves, and reached sound Nirvana.

Only one problem with the Fatcats. As you'll note in the picture, the pipes mount quite low -- lower than the right floorboard -- so even if I'm careful I still manage to scrape the bottom of the pipe. No one sees that, though (as long as I keep the rubber side down, that is [:-]).

Done with exhausts, moving on to cams.

By the way, the Rush pipes with the 2" baffles installed, and an extra set of 1.75 baffles, are for sale in the Classified section if anyone's interested.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:05 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: OldBoldPilot

After consulting with the folks at Rush, they told me that the decibel level of the 2.0 wasn't much different than the 1.75, but that the tone was appreciably different. They were right. The tone of the 2.0 is much deeper, more "rumbly" than the 1.75. They were a little louder than I would have liked at cruise, but not bad, and anyway, I wear earplugs.
Would you say they were louder than the rush 1.75s?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: another exhaust question