Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THE TRANSFORMATION: Need help removing the left side swingarm bolt...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Stoner
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE TRANSFORMATION: Need help removing the left side swingarm bolt...

Hi all,

THE TRANSFORMATION=Rebuilding my '94 heritage from a retro cruiser to a street-eater(pictures forthcoming, I promise all you can stand...)

Three months into this project, and almost done! Cannot get the #*&^# swingarm bolt loose on the left side. It's the one just behind the primary. The other side took some elbow grease, but let go eventually. Hard to get leverage. This one isn't budging. Does it loosen counter-clockwise? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stoner

Old 01-04-2008, 09:00 AM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: THE TRANSFORMATION: Need help removing the left side swingarm bolt...

Stoner,

Can't wait to see the pics of what you've done!

As for the bolt, yes, it's counter clockwise. Have you tried any PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench?

If so, and still no luck, try this:

Grab a candle (Taper / Emergency / Tea Light). Warm the bolt/stud up with a torch, lighter, soldering torch, etc... Warm it up enough that you can melt the whole candle onto the bolt/stud, working it all over the nut/washer/threads. The wax will wick itself into the rust/corrosion/threads and the bolt should just about spin right off.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:45 AM
rockerhead
Road Captain
Default RE: THE TRANSFORMATION: Need help removing the left side swingarm bolt...

good trick

Old 01-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Stoner
Advanced

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot over the weekend. I tried liquid wrench and another spray. Maybe a 8' 2X4 with something I can clamp my wrench to would work like a breaker bar. I was going to resort to buying an impact wrench and a big-*** socket set- but that would be $100 to remove one bolt!

Pictures will be forthcoming- but as a teaser... 145 pounds of excess removed from the bike so far! (Double that cuz I went to a solo seat)

Old 01-04-2008, 12:18 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stoner
Maybe a 8' 2X4 with something I can clamp my wrench to would work like a breaker bar.
I keep a piece of black iron pipe about 5 1/2' long that just fits over a breaker bar in the corner of the garage just for "stuborn" nuts and bolts. So far its never failed me.
It's managed tooutlive 4, 1/2" Craftsman breaker bars, three were broken trying to get off just one lug bolton my sons first car. A 67 VW Beetle we were trying to restore to drivable condition.
The pipe eventually won the war, but after returning the third breaker bar on the same day I think the salesman at the local Sears store though we were trying tounscrew Congress or something.