Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOCAL Riders read this!!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 12:43 PM
socalmoe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOCAL Riders read this!!!!

Isee this guys on their ST1300 scoping out riders, speciall on week-ends.
WATCH OUT!
Guess where me and my boys wont be going any more.
We will spend not a penny in that area.

Anaheim police have gotten serious about loud bikes.

California - The thundering roar of motorcycles racing up and down Imperial Highway could be reduced to a whisper, thanks to a crackdown by Anaheim police and a little-known federal law.

Motorcyclists with illegally loud exhaust systems began receiving citations on Imperial Highway in Anaheim Hills after weeks of warnings.

Anaheim Police Sgt. Mike Zigmund gave a final notice to about 60 bikers at Keno's restaurant the weekend of July 14.

"We told them that this was the last warning," he said. "They were pretty cooperative."

Armed with a decibel meter, resident Ellie Oliver measured the sound of passing bikers. "The noise was deafening," she said. "I recorded readings of 115 to 135 decibels," – 34 to 54 points above the city's 81-decibel exterior noise limit.

This month, Zigmund and his crew took their own readings and began citing bikers.

"The meter really isn't necessary," he said. "The courts have said that most cops can tell which pipes are legal and which aren't."

Anaheim resident Todd Hamo, a representative of Noise Free America's Orange County chapter, said decibel meter readings "have been called into question in court."

"But," he said," there is an Environmental Protection Agency system that removes all ambiguity when enforcing (illegal exhaust pipe) noise."

Known as the label-matching system, the federal regulation requires manufacturers to place two labels on every motorcycle they make – after it has passed a noise emissions test, at the factory. One label is on the chassis, the other on the muffler. Each contains a code that is unique to the make and model of the bike. By comparing them, officers can determine at a glance whether the vehicle has the appropriate exhaust system.

If it doesn't, or if there is no label, the motorcycle is in violation of Section 4909a(2) of the Noise Control Act of 1972.

Zigmund had been unaware of the EPA regulation, but looked it up on
www.noisefree.org.

"This might explain why some of the bikers have said that dealerships will not put after-market pipes on their bikes anymore," the police officer said. "They have in the past. Just because the dealer installed them, doesn't mean they are legal, though."

Tustin resident Gordon Pearson has a noise problem in his neighborhood, too.

"Our whole society would be so much better," he said, "if we would just enforce the laws we have."

Source: The Orange County Register

Taken from bainbucket.com

Old 01-05-2008, 03:20 PM
D*Lucks
Advanced
Default RE: SOCAL Riders read this!!!!

There is, or was, a sign as you enter Long Beach, Ca saying you will be cited for loud pipes. Then there is that cop in Laguna Beach who has made it his personal mission to cite bikers (documented in L.A. Times recently). I can understand curbing noise pollution but is this going to get out of hand to the other extreme? Are pipe manufacturers going to have to sell as "street legal"?

Old 01-05-2008, 06:44 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Could Harley owners "live" with stock sounding pipes on their bikes?. I'd be interested in knowing how many decibels my rush 1.75s put out. Hope I don't find out the hard way. Maybe the pds will set up free sound level checks like they sometimes do for the child car seats.With immunity for that day only.I think that would be a good positive thing for them to do instead of just going out and handing out tickets toriders who don't even know they're in violation.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:26 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found this on the forums about the pipes db.
You think you have it bad there. here in Texas in Fredericksburg they passed a city ordinance that says if a citizen thinks your bike is too loud you get a ticket. No db check. You just pay because your guilty.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2059235/tm.htm

Fully stock 07 softail custom:
From rear at idle: 73db
From right side at idle: 69db
From rear revved: 79db
From right side revved: 79db

Same bike with stage 1 kit, including 1.75" Rush slip-ons:
From right side at idle: 73db
From rear revved: 88db
From right side revved: 84db

Old 01-05-2008, 08:47 PM
drummer3278
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand that some people might not appreciate the sound of a Harley like us on this forum, Ihate hearing subs thumping out Rap whenever I pull up to a light, but, toeach his own. What I hate most is the Government telling us what the f*ck to do. One more thing for cops to have to go after, andpissing people off, instead of taking care of real serious sh*t.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:53 PM
hover_warrior
Intermediate

I'd like to see some citations against the thumping bass! It's a witch hunt!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:26 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

I would like to see the large trucks get citations because they are louder than my bike. We are talking turbo diesel pickups.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:15 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: tk353

I found this on the forums about the pipes db.
You think you have it bad there. here in Texas in Fredericksburg they passed a city ordinance that says if a citizen thinks your bike is too loud you get a ticket. No db check. You just pay because your guilty.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2059235/tm.htm

Fully stock 07 softail custom:
From right side at idle: 69db
From rear revved: 79db
From right side revved: 79db

Same bike with stage 1 kit, including 1.75" Rush slip-ons:
From right side at idle: 73db
From rear revved: 88db
From right side revved: 84db
Thanks for the info
If these figures are true of my bike I'll have to coast through the town ofNew Hope PA which is not too far from me. They write noise tickets on any 82+ bike registering over 86 decibels. Only town in my area that does it as far as I know.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Bluerose

That is a pretty old article....

I think it is interesting that is says "Little known law".The law these folks were getting ticketed for was a well knownCalifornia State law...the noise level on any motorcycle is not supposed to exceed 80 decibels. I'd be out with a measuring tape if I was ticketed...they had to be a specific distance.

I've read the federal law many timesand so far there is no place in California I know of choses to follow that law.It simply states that it may be used as definition or guidelinefora law. That is how cities like Denverget away with targeting motorcyclists and non-stock exhausts. Seriously though the federal laws donot onlytarget motorcycles like Denver does.

In California you may "replace" the portions of your exhaust that do notcontain any Emissions required items so long as the decibel level of the pipes does not exceedCalifornia Law (80 decibels for bikes built since 1974). In the most recent years the 02 sensor is considered emissions so you cannot remove or replace it unless you replace it with like equipment.

The good news is our Govenor, as bad as he is at other things, is motorcycle friendly and some laws have been made or revised in our favor (e.g. the trip for stoplightsmust beset low enough to detect Motorcycles....oh that reminds me I need to contact the city!)

Old 01-06-2008, 06:31 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

How do they check yor bike? Is it idle or reved or wot?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SOCAL Riders read this!!!!