Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealer says must do race tuner for exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 03:59 PM
thundergod
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer says must do race tuner for exhaust

i have an 07 night train and just bought the new black short shots from v&h. the dealer says i cant just do stage 1 with remapp but have to do race tuner and 5 hrs of dyno time. i think they are full of sh&t any opinions. i asked about just using the v&h fuel pak and they said the computer will learn around it and go back to factory. again i dont think this is true.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:18 PM
cagao
Advanced
Default RE: dealer says must do race tuner for exhaust

i'm runnmine with the OEM ECM and NOEFI controller. it runs fine except for excess fuel reaching the header sometimes (pops). from what i've read on this forum, no remap is needed when the change is only the pipes. this was confirmed by personnel at the local stealership. EFI controllers like PCIII and fuelpack intercept the signal after it has emitted by the ECM.
enjoy your new headers...

[IMG]local://upfiles/49308/7E2635634B664246B9551FD54B911616.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to find another dealer ...

Old 01-06-2008, 04:19 PM
sfd112
Intermediate

Thundergod,
I have an '04 fatboy that has the V&H short staggereds. I had my dealer download the stage 1 and added a SE air cleaner. At times it would backfire and I noticed my low end sucked. V&H has a "quiet" baffle for these pipes that I installed. The noise is about the same but the added back pressure really helped the low end, increased the milage (3 mpg) and the backfiring stopped. The baffles have fiberglass wrapped around part of them that I removed.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:26 PM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't read all of the replies but your system is a closed loop system and will compensate to its limits. In other words, the O2 sensor will keep sniffing to set the system right. Therefore, put your pipes on and do the stage 1, ride it and listen to it and then pull the plugs to see how they look. If all looks and sounds good then do nothing. If you seem to be lean or rich then put on a tuner and do some dyno time or if there is a flash for your setup try that flash. Problem solved. Dealers are too quick to try and sell you something youmay notneed. Try a setup and if it is not right then do something about it.

Mark

Old 01-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Trotter
Banned

Thundergod
I have the same pipes with the stock Baffles High Flow A/C and I do have the SERT... I loaded a canned map for the 1550 High Flow Exhaust and SE A/C and the bike ran fine.. However I did notice a little loss in the low end toque ... So I added a pair of Torque Cones and got all of the low end back.. I rode the bike for a day and couldn't make it pop.. Just the pipes you should be fine but I'd check the plug's and go for the SERT or tuner of your choice along with the High Flow A/C before the Summer heat & humidity hit's ... No Fuel Pak

[IMG]local://upfiles/24219/1214E3F84DB54BF78FD29CF190156E02.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-06-2008, 04:49 PM
cagao
Advanced

trotter, i've got the quiet baffles and also notice a loss of low end torque. should i install torque cones with quiet or original baffles? do you recommend any brand for torque cones.

thanks

Old 01-06-2008, 05:14 PM
gunner065
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: thundergod

i have an 07 night train and just bought the new black short shots from v&h. the dealer says i cant just do stage 1 with remap but have to do race tuner and 5 hrs of dyno time. i think they are full of sh&t any opinions. i asked about just using the v&h fuel pak and they said the computer will learn around it and go back to factory. again i don't think this is true.
Man, some of ye guys in the US probably don't even get a reach around when you to to your dealer. I think they are full of it from what they told you. When I told my dealer what pipes I wanted, all they said was that I would need a high flow AC and aremap. No problems with my bike what so ever. We only have one dealer on Vancouver Island in Canada, and if he tried the shiet that some of you have to put up with, he wouldn't be in business long. My suggestion, find a dealer who is not trying to fluck you over. Ride safe.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Rodent
Road Master

ORIGINAL: thundergod

i have an 07 night train and just bought the new black short shots from v&h. the dealer says i cant just do stage 1 with remapp but have to do race tuner and 5 hrs of dyno time. i think they are full of sh&t any opinions. i asked about just using the v&h fuel pak and they said the computer will learn around it and go back to factory. again i dont think this is true.

Looks like you need to find another dealership. They don't know what they are talking about, and are trying to put the screws to you.
5 hours of dyno time???????? I don't think so.
With the 5 hours of dyno time and the extra parts they're trying to get you to buy, I'd hate to see the final bill on this one.
Makes you wonder how many others they screwed down the road.
Need to put this dealerships name in the DEALERSHIP HALL OF SHAME.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

Your dealer is correct in stating that installing a fuel pak will just cause the ECM to back off the fuel when operating in closed loop mode. The fuel pak just amplifies the signal going to the injectors to add more fuel. Once the O2 sensors see the increase in fuel, the ECM will decrease the signal defeating the purpose of the fuel pak. You need to remove or dummy the O2 sensors for the fuel pak to work correctly. As far as SERT and 5 hours dyno for AC and pipes, he is full of crap. Sure, the bike will run better if you purchase the SERT and have the bike dynoed, but is it required - NO!

Quick Reply: dealer says must do race tuner for exhaust