Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter is sticking, not sure why

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Jucifer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter is sticking, not sure why

Well I had some nice weather today so I took the Fatty for a ride around town. About 1 hour into my ride I noticed that when I shift (heel/toe) the shifter wouldn't spring back into place. I actually had to nuge it backup in placewith my foot and then step back down to shift. PITA, so I came home to take a look. I looked back at the other side of the linkage and everything seems fine. When I was looking a little more closely at the pin I noted that there is no space at all around that black washer. It's pretty tight...im wondering if itisn't too tight. When I tried to take an allen wrench to the dogone shifter it is on so tight that I felt like I was going to break my wrench(need a good set). I tried to get some penetrating oil in there around the washer and at the back side of the pin...and tried to work it around a bid. I guess my question is - has anyone else had this problem? Is that washer fiberous? Is it possible that It would swell? What else could this be?

Im sure no wrench so I was just going with the common sense approach...only thing is I'm all out of common sense [8D]

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!

JU

Old 01-06-2008, 05:40 PM
gunner065
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shifter is sticking, not sure why

I had the same problem last week. I didn't know what was wrong and started making plans to bring it in to my dealer. But before I did, not wanting to look like an idiot, I sprayed a little WD40 and the two front pivot points at the linkage connections. After and little up and down motion, back to new. Try this and see if it clears up your linkage. Good luck and post back if it helps.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:45 PM
I CUT 1
Tourer

The shaft that connects the foot lever to the front linkage arm has rusted. You'll need to take it apart, sand the shaft back smooth, clean the plastic bushings, lube with some grease, and reassemble. This can be checked by taking the shift linkage loose from front linkage arm, if foot lever is tight, then the above solution will fix your problem. If it's tight at the lever at the transmition, oh-no!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/49112/7CC5EE1C0C3440978BF0920219C80D9E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/49112/5FD8BDC6F47049A2B8614DD92631ABE1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-06-2008, 05:52 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a hard time shifting also but mine was fixed by changing to the Bel Rey Gearsaver oil

Old 01-06-2008, 05:53 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine did the same thing thing. a little liquid wrench and cleaning solved the problem. At the same time I checked the tranny fluid. I had ridden ina heavyrain, last summer, for a couple of hours.Water had got in the vent tube and there was water in the tranny fluid. I changed it to syn 3 no more problems. I really think the shifter sticking was it need to be cleaned and oiled.
ORIGINAL: I CUT 1

The shaft that connects the foot lever to the front linkage arm has rusted. You'll need to take it apart, sand the shaft back smooth, clean the plastic bushings, lube with some grease, and reassemble. This can be checked by taking the shift linkage loose from front linkage arm, if foot lever is tight, then the above solution will fix your problem. If it's tight at the lever at the transmission, oh-no!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/49112/7CC5EE1C0C3440978BF0920219C80D9E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/49112/5FD8BDC6F47049A2B8614DD92631ABE1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-06-2008, 06:38 PM
flstcbob
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I had the same problem. All it was, the shift lever was too tight against the washer.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This is very common.
Seems that the shaft doesn't get enough anti-seize.
As mentioned before, pull the the levers off, sand the shaft smooth, clean the inside out of the bushing, and coat in lots of anti-seize.
Figure on this being about a yearly task especially if you ride in the rain.

My first time, it even had packing celophane wrapped up in there.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:23 PM
dave2800
Cruiser

I had that same problem on my 06 FLSTCI and when I had it in for service I ask them ifanyone else washaving problems and he told me yes that they rust and gauld up. They took it apart and cleaned and regreased it. Works like it should now.

Dave

Old 01-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

Reemed out the bushing after my bike was a few months old. The shifter is a little sloppier, but never sticks!!!!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:31 AM
Jucifer
Road Master

Thanks all. Ill give it a shot. Much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Shifter is sticking, not sure why