Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD's still holding their value?

Old 01-07-2008, 02:14 PM
tatersalad
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HD's still holding their value?

I see where locally the 2007 HD are selling with no finance charge and the 2008 are with 2.0 finance charge. I am payng 8 1/2 percenton my new bike.What gives? Are they going to be selling below MSRP next? I am almost willing to trade for the lower rate!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:54 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: HD's still holding their value?

ORIGINAL: tatersalad

I see where locally the 2007 HD are selling with no finance charge and the 2008 are with 2.0 finance charge. I am payng 8 1/2 percenton my new bike.What gives? Are they going to be selling below MSRP next? I am almost willing to trade for the lower rate!
HD has two problems now. They were over producing bikes by 10,000 or so more per yearthen dealers could sell every year because demand was growing. Now, demand is flat to down and the dealer network is packed with bikes. The ecconomy has weakend and hurt demand more. There is a very nice selection of cheaper, used, low mile HDs out there that are taking sales from the dealers. They are doing finance specials to try to get people to buy new, rather then used and to help get inventory back to normal. I can tell you, many dealers will sell under msrp. No, HDs dont hold their value like the used to. Still much better then cars/trucks though. You can trade to get a lower rate, however they are going to rip you on the trade.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:19 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine was 5% no money down and 500 under msrp, half on delivery and prep 400, and 700 in free upgrades.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:00 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess i'd go with a '07 given the lower rate. Aside from that- I do not think I'd like the servo control / no throttle cable set up.

my 1 cent worth - I can't find my other penny.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Crushinator
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Afert searching for a Fatboy for a few months, it appears to me that they're holding their value pretty well. I was to three different Harley shops in my area and two would not budge on the MSRP of an '08 Fatboy. The last dealer ended up selling me mine for almost $2,000 off MSRP. With tax and tags, the first two wanted roughly $19,300 out the door and I ended up spending $17,500 for mine. I'm sure had I looked harder, I could've save a few hundred more dollars, but this dealer is only 20 minutes from my house so I went with them.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:57 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,846 Likes on 21,296 Posts

Seems to me that the market is flooded with HD's right now. HD shot em' selves in the foot by producing too many bikes, (greed)and now people can't get what they've paid for them. Supply and demand, and right now there is more supply than there is demand, hence the prices are going down, and those that think that they have a cream puff are not getting the prices that they want and many are having to take a beating to turn them. HD needs to slow down production for a while.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:47 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The prices and demand are falling. HD is partially to blame forflooding the market. The economy is also weak. I could care less how much mine are worth. I hope the markets bottom completely falls out making HD's worth pennies on the dollar. That will just mean that my next one will be even that much cheaper.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:56 AM
MT
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

The prices and demand are falling. HD is partially to blame forflooding the market. The economy is also weak. I could care less how much mine are worth. I hope the markets bottom completely falls out making HD's worth pennies on the dollar. That will just mean that my next one will be even that much cheaper.
My thoughts exactly!!

Old 01-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 703 Likes on 336 Posts

I paid $34,000 for my ride in 2001. Today a new one is $21,000. US dollar has crashed, and HD is feeling the pain. All of those out of country dealers are bringing in 50% less profits. The states are feeling the pain of the crappy economy and credit crunch. Sucks big time!!!! Anyone that bought a HD with the intention of making money is a sucker.

I'm just happy that I ride, and really don't give a crap about value.

See you on the road.

Joe

Old 01-08-2008, 09:46 AM
roenm38
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I waited a long time for a good price on a Harley, but it was worth the wait. For years a drove rice bikes and liked everyone of them. Goldwings, Shadows,Vulcans and others and never lost a dime on any of them because I bought them used and took good care of them and sold them for what I paid for them. Last August I finally got my first Harley. A 2005 Heritage Classic , mint cond. with 6400 miles and lots of extra chrome. The price from a private party was 12500. My point is take your time when spending your hard earned money on a cycle. The bargains are out there when you look hard and take you time. As many others have said recently, it is a buyers market on most bikes and will continue for some time. Good luck on your hunt for a good bargain.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD's still holding their value?