Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Softail question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:20 PM
FXDJOE
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage Softail question?

OK! My friends and I havestarted aconversation over the weekend with no result!We were discussing the differences between the Heritage Softail Classic (FLSTC) and the Road King Classic (FLHRC)! Weknow and understand the chassis/frame, engine/transmissiondifferences and a few of us have been with H-D for quite a few years now!So here is the question![/align][/align]If you were to purchase one of these, and only one, what would really be the better all around H-D? Lets consider that most of us, but not all (at lease the people I know that ride) just ridelocally throughout the week back and forth to workand take the occasional long road trip on the weekend! What are the advantages to either, or disadvantages?[/align]

Old 01-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Sillverback
Tourer
Default RE: Heritage Softail question?

Just preference for me I guess. I've always loved the way the Heritage looks. The ride is great. I ride most of my miles locally and when I say locally...I mean within a 200 mile radius. I've never taken a "road trip". My wife rides with me about 10% of the time and we have no problems. Of course, I've set the bike up with different bars and seat w/backrest, so I am very comfortable riding 8, 10, 12+ hrs.

The Roadking having the touring suspension setup probably gives a more consistant smoother ride over time. I wouldn't know...I've never ridden one, but I've ridden plenty of UC's. The difference to me is sitting "on" the bike, rather than sitting "in" the bike. Roadking vs Heritage. There's a obvious difference in feel between the two.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29179/C717D808AD06447EA330B9D11F05E8BA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29179/A6FBC14EACA348108F10CD736B2643F3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-07-2008, 08:57 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

It comes down to this for me...LOOKS go to the Heritage, hands down. COMFORT goes to the Road King. Have had softails and touring bikes, I'd take the King!

Old 01-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were to get a RK, I would immediately lower at least the rear and put a lower seat with more of a soft bucket. As stock you sit up on it too much for my taste. If I could get "in" it, I think I would be happy with the King. I actually like the looks of the RK more than the Heritage, but think the Heritage is the better bike for what you are looking for. Either would be good though.
Marsh

Old 01-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Nails
Cruiser

I have two softails and two touring bikes. Mileage last year...Touring bikes 51, Softails 8,700. I was ok with the touring bikes until I picked up the Softails. Now I can't stand to ride the touring bikes; that applies to the road trips which include 600-700 miles days. Both the touring bikes will get sold this Spring...maybe I'll pick up another Softail

Old 01-07-2008, 09:52 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

Have rode both, like both, buuutttttt the RoadKing does it all for me.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:33 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master

Wow what a question. In '03 I bought a new Low Rider, I hated that bike because of the engine shake. Eight months later, I bought a new '03 Heritage Classic. I put 50K miles on that bike and never looked back at the Low Rider. In '07 I wanted a new bike. I rented the RK Classic, an Ultra and a Road Glide. I put about 300 miles oneach of the rentals and then decided on a new bike. I bought a new Heritage Classic. The other bikes were nice,but IMO you can't beat the Heritage Classic. I've alreadyput 15K miles on the new one.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:47 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

For just tooling around, with the occasional long ride in there the Heritage is fine.
If you plan on longer rides, the Roadking does have better susp, ground clearance and overall they handle better.

The big plus to the Heritage is its versatility (spl/chk)
A few days ago, I went thru all the pics in the "Heritage Picture" section on this forum. 25+ pages? Anyhow, what a HUGE variety of good looking scooters. Everything from Slammed (and I mean slammed) barhoppers, to full on touring with leather tour packs and all. And some of the paint jobs . . . Awesome!!!
The big + is, any of these can be converted back and forth almost within minutes (well ok several minutes). But point being a Roadking is a BAGGER.
And they're great, but that is what you have.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:56 AM
grubby
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Local riding and the occasional road trip would have to be the heritage classic, it a better alrounder and for looks you cannot beat the classic lines of a heritage

Old 01-08-2008, 05:07 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

I like the Heritage more each time i ride it .

Quick Reply: Heritage Softail question?