Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch lever, need help diagnosing

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 03:28 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default clutch lever, need help diagnosing

Hi all. well, as the title implies, my clutch lever leaves me with some questions. I need to adjust my clutch. I DO NOT experience any slip or drag in my clutch, but my lever doesnt return to the full forward position. almost like there is streching in the cable. So, as a newbie to motorcycle maintenance, what portion of the clutch adjustment procedure will bring the lever all the way forward? Or does the whole procedure need to be followed regardless?

Old 01-09-2008, 04:17 AM
darkside
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: clutch lever, need help diagnosing

If memory serves me correctly your bikes fairly new,correct?
It sounds as though the cable is still stretching. You can adjust the lever position by adjusting the cable(you want about 1/8 slack where the cable meets the control housing). Generally about the time that cablehas stretched out though it's a good time to do a full clutch adjustment anyhow. If you have any probs or questions the procedure is in the tech section here. If that don't work shoot me a pm and I can run through it with you.It's actually pretty easy.
Good to see your getting settled in Cali. You still got that goofy roomate?

Old 01-09-2008, 04:27 AM
BlackDragon
Tourer

Hi ebeattie

where the clutch cable boss meets the clutch bracket on your bars, there needs to be some free play there.
Manual for 07 Softail 1/16 - 1/8".

If you plan to do maintaince on your bike it would pay U to gat a manual.
I have a Factory manual and would not recomend one especially if your new to doing your own bike. I would buy one of the aftermarket ones that are written for normal people not factory techs.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Grey Biker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest doing a full clutch adjustment. As mentioned a shop manual would be a good investment, however I think your owners manual covers the clutch adjustmant procedure. I dont agree with the idea that the clutch cable stretches that much, in reality the clutch cable stretches very little. One last thought, you might want to check the adjuster on the cable, the lock nut could have come loose allowing the adjuster to back off.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:48 AM
nomaster
Advanced

On the left down tube of your frame you should see a rubber bellow boot on the clutch cable. Slide that boot down to expose the cable adjustment. You should finda jam nut and a long hex shaped adjuster. Loosen the lock nut and turn the adjuster till you have 1/8" slack at the lever. Tighten the jam nut and slide the boot back over the adjuster assembly.