Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Battery Tender Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 10:44 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Another Battery Tender Question

When I connect the negative clip, do I attach it to the negative battery post or on the frame? If so, will the same place the negative cable attaches to the frame work? I also have the harness that stays on the bike (just not installed yet). When I install the harness with the ring terminals, do I install the negative ring terminal on the bolt connected to the battery itself, or the one connected to the frame?

thanks

Old 01-13-2008, 11:24 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Another Battery Tender Question

Its always better to attach anything like that to the battery terminals.
That way there is no possiblity of a bad connection to another part causing an increased loading on the smart charger.
Smart chargers only put out a very small amount of current and any loss through increased resistance could easilyoverload it. If you were using one of those giant rollup fast chargers, it wouldn't matter so much because they have power to spare. Likely more than the averagebikes little battery can handle for very long.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:59 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The instructions for my battery tender tell you to attach the negative to the vehicle chassis. Of course I didn't read the instructions so mine is connected to the -terminal. If I find some good reason to move it I will but for now it's staying there.

I'm thinking the reason for the frame mounting is to reduce possible sparking at the battery during the connection or if it ever gets loose.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:33 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

Of course I didn't read the instructions so mine is connected to the -terminal.
Yeah, I didn't either, I hooked it up and then last night got to reading the directions and read the same thing you did. However, the instructions for the ring terminal harness show the negative ring hooked directly to the negative post. That's what confused me. I will leave it on the negative post.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:38 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

to the battery is best

Old 01-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Midwest Muscle
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People read instructions? Wow, that's news to me!! Seriously though, I put my quick-connect harness right on the battery post. Like Citoriplus said, it best matches what the tender does. If I'm jumping a car, or using a hoss of acharger, I usually find a frame ground to use for the negative. This reminds me, I haven't ridden my bike since Thanksgiving Day. My wife and kids (plus freezing cold weather and my day job) are helping make sure my battery tender spends more time with my bike than I get to!

Mike

Old 01-14-2008, 11:12 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The reason they tell you to attach the negative clamp to the frame (not the neg terminal on the battery) is so that there is no chance of igniting any hydrogen gas that may be built up near the battery. Now the chances of this are pretty slim, but when applying jumper cables or a charger that is pluged in already a spark can be produced (like a spark plug) and kaboom.... but the chances are slip. As for the quick connect cable, just attach is to the pos and neg terminals, plug in the tender to the tail and then plug into the wall. Youll never have a problem.

Chris

Old 01-15-2008, 08:09 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

thanks fellas, well I am gone again for a few weeks, but will get it all hooked up when I get home. I am sick of travelling, but I guess this is the best time of year for it. Of course, at home (Texas) it is great riding weather.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:09 PM
conroskie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same thing today. Hooked up the pigtail directly to the battery terminals and plugged in the tender