Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bar mounted turn signals....?????

Old 01-14-2008, 04:11 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bar mounted turn signals....?????

I was just wondering how many people out there haved moved their turn signels from the bars down onto the forks?

I bought the "turn signal relocation kit" from the dealer (very nice kit BTW well made and fits perfectly) to install on my SE-Deuce. The signals on the bars were just getting to me.

The job took a bit longer than I had thought it would. First off the SE-Deuce has internally wired bars, so I had to fish the trun signal wires back out the bars first. Well first I had to drain the tank, remove the cross over line, console and all connectors, fuel feed line, and tank. Then remove the connector from the actual turn signal leads, so I could pull them through.
The biggest PIA was draining the tank and removing the crossover......I always manage to spill about a gallon of gas in the process.
Well it was worth it IMHO.....now all I got left to do is replace the bulbs with two amber 1157's.....and then give her a good cleanning and wax job.
I am sure glad the MOCO seen fit to eliminate the crossover line from the fuel tank on my 08 FLHX.

Oh and BTW I had one of those braided stainless crossover lines, and I wanted to install it on the Deuce.....but thaqt thing is a huge POS......no matter what I did I could not get it to make a good seal.....it would continue to drip gas. I switched it back to the rubber hose and its dry as a bone....done deal.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:33 AM
barhpr
Road Captain
Default RE: Bar mounted turn signals....?????

I spilled abou the same amount.. didnt have enough room in the gas can I had nearby, I also realized half way through I should put my cigerette out too [:-]. My stainless line sealed fine,I love the look of the signals on the bars

Old 01-14-2008, 06:42 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

If your looking to replace the bulbs with amber ones because you have the smoked or clear lenses I suggest that you look at the Sylvania Silverstar's instead.
They are brighter and look more like lightly blued chrome when they are off instead of the normal amber. But light up a very nice bright amber when tuned on.
In the pic you can see that in direct sunlight they have a slight amber tint to them, but normally they look different.

BTW those are the original relocation mountings that the dealer gave me. But I wasn't happy with how far out they are and found a new set that put the signals closer to the fork tube. Just don't have a pic of them on the bike yet. Damn snow, can't take the bike out of the garage yet.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:05 AM
DrawDown
Road Master

This is on my list of "things to do". I dont like my signals on my bars either, kinda looks like ears...

Old 01-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I definitely like the look of thesignals on the forks, rather than on the bars. I think it really cleans up the look of the bars.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:05 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

If your looking to replace the bulbs with amber ones because you have the smoked or clear lenses I suggest that you look at the Sylvania Silverstar's instead.
They are brighter and look more like lightly blued chrome when they are off instead of the normal amber. But light up a very nice bright amber when tuned on.
In the pic you can see that in direct sunlight they have a slight amber tint to them, but normally they look different.

BTW those are the original relocation mountings that the dealer gave me. But I wasn't happy with how far out they are and found a new set that put the signals closer to the fork tube. Just don't have a pic of them on the bike yet. Damn snow, can't take the bike out of the garage yet.
Yes I am a fan of the Silver stars also, but I was not aware that they also made the 1157 turn signal type bulbs.......in amber no less!
Also....I was thinking the same as you I didnt like how far the signal stalks put the housings out from the forks. Now though I am starting to like it......I still may just buy another kit from ebay on the cheep, and neatly cut the stalk down about 2" and then just see how I like it that way. If I dont like it, I can just switch back to the longer ones.
Did you do the install yourself.....or did you have the dealer do it? I did mine down in my shop, and to tell you the truth if I had to do this job for a customer, I would have to charge them about $100 for the labor.....
I will look around for the SilverStar 1157's....thanks for the tip!

Old 01-15-2008, 06:19 AM
ozzy07840
Cruiser

i think that the signals on the forks is so metriccruiser

Old 01-15-2008, 06:33 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I found a pic I took of the two different mountings. The one on the right is the HD one with its long arm, and the one on the left is a Custom Chrome one I got off e-bay for under $20 (delivered) with the 1/2" spacer that comes with it removed.

Those are the Silverstar bulbs in them and you should be able to get them from any of the bigger auto parts stores. I got mine from the local Advanced Auto for about $10 a pair. Sounds like they knew I was going to put them on a Harley doesn't it.

Why was it so hard to do on your bike? Only took me about 20 or 30 minutes to put the HD ones on the first time. But I didn't pull everything apart to reroute the wires cause I knew I was eventually pulling the handlebars off anyway.I just tie-wrapped up the excess and stuffed it under the tank tillthen. I'll reroute things properly when I change the bars.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:02 AM
ratzila
Tourer

I have the HD ones that moved the signals to the forks like the one above. I ordered this one from Pro-one http://www.pro-one.com/401720_Turn_S...r_p/401720.htmIt's on backorder but I will take pics after it is installed.

[/align]

Old 01-15-2008, 09:18 AM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the turn signal in the mirrors option. They are out wide & high for visibility, better view of what's behindand have the red signal light in the mirror glass as well. Have them trial mounted, but will hide the wiring soon. Got them off eBay for $98.00. Was replacing a broken mirror, so killed 2 birds with one stone. Hated the bar mounts because they reflected off the windshield at night.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bar mounted turn signals....?????